Varsity Field Hockey: Squad looks strong after early-season tests

Kirby Child
commons editor

After a two-game winning streak, the team felt confident and the girls were eager for their game against the Walter Johnson Wildcats on Sept. 20 at home.

The Patriots kept the ball on their offensive half of the field for the majority of the first half, but were unable to execute a shot. “We had a lot of chances, but their goalie was good,” junior Mia Silver said.

Both teams came out in the second half hoping for a goal, but with 30 seconds left in the game, the score was still 0-0. The Wildcats had a breakaway and made it to their offensive half, but the Patriots strong defense tackled the ball and regained possession. The ball was passed up the sideline to senior Caity Greenspun, who dribbled to the baseline and hit the ball flat across the goal to junior Kendall Clark. With less than 10 seconds left in the game, Clark tipped the ball past the Wildcat goalie and the Patriots won 1-0. “We did well transferring [the ball] to the right side and bringing it up the field,” junior Kendall Clark.

After an exciting win and the continuation of their winning streak, the girls gathered around head coach Welma Luus. After some games Luus awards two of the players with “MVP of the game.” Highlighting how strong the team’s defense was this game, Luus gave two defenders, seniors Margaret Christovich and Grace Henschel, this award. “Margaret and Grace played really well, so I think they deserved MVP,” Silver said.

The girls’ next game was scheduled for Sept. 26 at home against the Whitman Vikings. A storm began halfway through the junior varsity game, and the varsity team hoped the weather would improve before their game. Instead, the weather got progressively worse, and after waiting 45 minutes from the game’s original start time, the game was cancelled and rescheduled for Oct.1 at home.

On Sept. 28 against the BCC Barons at home, the girls were hoping to win their fourth game in a row. Junior Alexa Kantor scored the first goal of the game ending the half 1-0. The Patriots played slower in the second half than they had in the first, and the Barons scored twice. Although the Patriots had opportunities to put away another goal and tie up the game, they were unable to. The game ended with a final score of 2-1. “We played well first half, but not second,” Kantor said.

On Oct. 1 the varsity team gathered for their make-up game at home against the Whitman Vikings. Possession was 50/50 during the first half. Neither team put the ball in the goal, until the last five minutes of the first half when senior Chloe Perel hit a straight shot from the top of the circle to the corner of the goal, ending the half 1-0. The second half was evenly matched and neither team was able to score, so the game ended with 1-0 win by the Patriots. “The season’s going really well, and everyone played great [against Whitman],” Henschel said.

The games on Oct. 2 and Oct. 8 were too late to be included in this issue.