Holiday homework upsets students

Josh Levine
staff writer

It is essential that students have quality time to spend with their families, significant time to practice a religion stress free, and the occasional mental health day. Students should not be assigned homework over holidays.

Throughout the year, it is common for teachers to assign students work over breaks. For some occasions like summer break, it is understandable because for some classes, it is required that students do summer work in order to be prepared for the class. For shorter holidays during the school year, teachers assign mandatory work intended to help students get ready for a test or exam. It should be on the student to study or prepare themselves.

There are certain occasions where there are cultural holidays that MCPS does not give school time off, for example, Persian New Year, which is on March 22. There is still school during the new year even when it is common for those who celebrate to not go to school to celebrate with friends and family. “Every year my family members, friends and I don’t go to school or work to celebrate together as a community. It is really frustrating that teachers don’t recognize my culture’s new year and at least give us a break from homework,” junior Sam Bashiri said.

It is not always the teacher’s decision to give homework over holidays. Sometimes it’s required by the curriculum in order to keep up with the required work. In other instances, it is the teacher’s choice to assign the work to get grades in, help students prepare, or keep their minds active. For the most part, it is the teacher’s decision. “I don’t like the concept of giving homework over holidays. I enjoy spending time with my family over holidays. I wouldn’t want work to do, so I assume you would want that either,” biology teacher David Bitler said.

Another issue regarding giving homework over holidays is the religious aspect. Some religious holidays that occur during the school year have certain rules that would prohibit or make it difficult for students to get work done during that time, which is unfair to the student.

For example, Yom Kippur is a Jewish holiday that started on Sept. 18, and ended on Sept. 19. Yom Kippur is a day where Jews ask for forgiveness for their sins to secure their fate. On this holy day, those who celebrate typically spend most of the day in temple or at home resting. This is a day of rest, meaning students should be under no stress and be work free. “We should be able to participate in Yom Kippur without any homework or distractions,” sophomore Ryan Meyers said.

Teachers should not be able to assign students homework over certain holidays. It is understandable to get some form of work if it is required or if the class is far behind. But teachers shouldn’t just give homework to give it out. Holidays are supposed to be time for family, relaxation and cultural or religious practices.