Team sits even after first two games

The girls’ varsity soccer team began the season off right on Sept.4 at home against Poolesville, with a final score of 2-0. Senior Hayley Parsons assisted to senior Carson Blum for a goal, and senior Alexis Zinselmeier assisted Blum for the second and final goal of the game.
This year’s captains are seniors Gabby Heitman, Meghan Murphy and Nicole Deprey.
The girls had another match on Sept.11, playing St. John’s High School in a home game, with a hard fought 4-0 loss.
This year varsity welcomes new head coach Adrian Unger, who has been the junior varsity coach for the the past few years but has stepped up to take on this role. JV also welcomes Wootton soccer alumni Cara Traub as their new coach. Senior Mollie Greenberg said, “Having Unger as the varsity coach is really good because we all had him when we played JV so he knows us really well and can deal with us. It’s a different aspect than having our old coach but not in a negative way.”
The team holds practices several times a week to improve and hopes to not only win games and advance later on in playoffs, but improve overall as a team. Playing well directly relates to their chemistry off the field. They have team dinners frequently and have grown close over the course of the preseason and beginning of this regular season. “Obviously beating Churchill is a top priority for us but growing closer as a team and doing things together is really important especially being a senior and it being our last chance at this,” Greenberg said.
The varsity team has set objectives they are striving to accomplish on the field. Although the longtime rival Churchill game has been cancelled twice due to weather, beating them is their top priority of the season along with making it through to playoffs. “I just hope that we can get through the rest of the season with as many wins as possible so we can be really prepared when it comes time for playoffs,” junior Sarah Levine said.
The girls play their next game on Sept. 20 at home against Richard Montgomery too late to be covered in this issue.