Boys upset rival Churchill

Boys upset rival Churchill

The biggest game of the season took place at home against the Churchill Bulldogs on Sept. 13. The Patriots were looking to avenge their 2-0 loss last season. “Last year’s loss hurt and we are coming for revenge this season,” senior Ben Stoller said.
Churchill was looked as the heavy favorite for this game after knocking off the 2017 4A State Champions, BCC. It was a humid night of the game and tensions were high. It was a slow game through the first 20 minutes until Wroblewski was fouled, setting up a penalty kick for the Patriots. The crowd cheered heavily after learning the Patriots would be taking a penalty kick. Wroblewski opted not to take the PK and instead junior Francis Meyer would be taking the kick. The home crowd was cheering heavily and as Meyer went to take the kick the crowd grew silent.
Looking like slow motion, Meyer kicked the ball. Churchill’s goalie dove right, exactly where the ball was going, but the perfectly placed ball kicked by Meyer outreached the goalie’s hand landing in the top right corner. The blacked out student section went wild as the Patriots’ sideline went crazy. With greatly played defense and an outstanding save by goalie Matthew Kopsidas, the Patriots secured the win. The upset was complete. “I was super excited, but also extremely nervous, when I was about to take the kick, but afterwards I was just so happy that we won as a team and finally beat Churchill,” Meyer said.
A week before on Sept. 11, the Patriots traveled to Woodrow Wilson High School in Washington, D.C.. It was not an offensive heavy game as the game resulted in a tie 1-1, with the lone goal scored by Ram.
The Patriots lead off the year at Poolesville on Sept. 4, and beat the Falcons 8-0. Six different Patriots scored and junior Andy Ram finished the day with a hat trick. Junior Jonathan Camberos, Wroblewski, Meyer, senior Ben Stoller and senior Justin Dasuki all also scored in the thrashing of the Falcons. Kopsidas also lead the day with 73’ minutes of scoreless goalkeeping for the Patriots. “It was a great overall team win and a great way to start of the season,” Ram said.
Last fall boys’ soccer went 8-7 with 27 goals scored and 25 goals against. They finished third in the Maryland 4A West Division and lost in the first round to Richard Montgomery 5-1. Even with losing last year’s leading scorer Karl Scherf there are still high expectations for this season. “I really believe we can go far in the state playoffs this year; we have a great group of young players,” Kopsidas said.
The Patriots bring back key players from last year with junior forwards Ram and Wroblewski who look to lead the offense this year. “I am excited to see what we can do this year,” Wroblewski said.
The boys took another win on Sept. 17 at home against Clarksburg. Wroblewski started off the scoring to get a 1-0 lead. Shortly after Camberos and senior Greg Garcia scored to rip open the game to a 3-0 lead before hlaftime. The Patrriots went on to win the game 3-1.
They look to extend their undefeated record Sept. 22 at Richard Montgomery, too late to be included in this issue.