News Briefs

The All Eastern Ensembles are made up of the best musicians from the 11 eastern states, District of Columbia and the European Union.
This school has 10 students who have been nominated. They include seniors: Timothy Jiang, Carissa Wei, Sona Chudamani, Aneesha Sampath Jehoon Seo and juniors: Andrew Shim, Anna Shin, Grant Liu and Emily Yu and Mei Yuzuki.

The 2017-2018 Common Sense Newspaper was recently awarded a gold medal from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association (CSPA). According to the CSPA website, “The Critique contains a written set of standards developed by the Association to itemize the best practices for student media. The adviser-judge reads the print or online publication and analyzes its strengths and weakness as described by the Critique. The judge writes out comments and makes constructive suggestions for building on current strengths and correcting deficiencies noted in the Critique.” The staff is proud of this prestigious award. “I’m so proud of last year’s staff. We worked really hard and we definitely deserved it,” Editor-in-chief Chloe Perel said.

The National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC) is a well known organization that awards scholarships to high school students who academic excellence. According to nationalmerit.org, the mission of the NMSC “is to recognize and honor the academically talented students of the United States. NMSC accomplishes its mission by conducting nationwide academic scholarship programs.”

There were 11 semifinalists from this school are seniors: Ting-Hua Hsu, Andrew Jiang, Deepa Kori, Harrison Lee, Xiwei Peng, Joshua Rabinowitz, Keerat Singh, Selena Xiao, Jenny Yarmovsky, Gelila Yimam and Celestine Zhao. “I am always proud of all of our students. This is a really big accomplishment and I think it shows their hard work and effort in their high school careers. It’s amazing to see it all pay off,” Principal Kimberly Bolden said.