Dream teams reign supreme

Ranking best teams of entire school year

Every year a mad debate arises about the best sports teams. The top spot is based on factors such as regular season record, postseason record, and what place they finished in the end among other schools in the county.
Tennis- The Patriots won counties, regionals, and states yet again to maintain their position at the top tennis team in the state. This is the 10th time in a row that tennis has won states. They have absolutely destroyed the county for 10 straight years and have become a tennis juggernaut. “I am so honored to be able to play for a dynasty over these past two years; just watching players like senior South Carolina commit Joseph Brailovsky dominate on the court is incredible,” sophomore tennis player Samir Patankar said.
Track & Field-The Patriots had an impressive year on the track where they had eight members of girls’ and boys’ 4×800 quailify for states. Juniors Erin Chelf, Joe Pohoryles, Adna Trakic, Julien Bastin, Jessica Trzeciak, Maddie Grainger, Jake Smith, and senior Mitchell Fanger all qualified. Junior sprinter Keith Cartwright also qualified for states, as well as senior Ambrose Devine for 110m and 300m hurdles,
Girls’ Lacrosse- The team had an impressive year, going 8-7 in the regular season and then made an impressive playoff run, going all the way to regionals before getting knocked out by Whitman. “After getting called up from JV it was really incredible what these girls did to make a nice run in the playoffs,” sophomore midfielder Madison Linn said.
Hockey- The boys had a great season, finishing 10-3-1 behind junior right wing Hunter Band and senior defenseman Zach Lechner. They had impressive wins, including an 8-0 win over Whitman, and 3-2 win over BCC before losing the first round of the playoffs. “It was super fun being able to be a part of this team, I think we had a really good season, but we came up short in the end,” freshmen defensemen Brett Strauss said.
Girls’ Softball – With a new coach this year, softball exceeded expectations. They had blowout wins against Whitman, WJ, Kennedy, and Einstein, and a 12-0 blowout against Gaithersburg in the first round of the playoffs before falling short to Clarksburg 1-0 in the second round. “I truly believe this one was one of the greatest season I have experienced over my four years at Wootton,” senior pitcher Meredith White said.
This school’s sports team usually do not live up to the hype and fall short in the playoffs, but this year we had a regional final appearance by girls’ lacrosse, lots of people from track qualify for states, and tennis won the state title for 10th year in a row.