Brailovsky, Esterowitz, Dong become state champions

For the past couple weeks the boys’ tennis team traveled around Maryland competing in counties, regionals and states. An impressive season for the team ended with county, regional and states wins.
Sophomore Samir Patankar said, “I was glad to be a part of the team this year and watch many of my teammates do well in the playoffs.”
All of the starters for the team went to counties to compete in regionals and hopefully in the state championship and bring home a ring. They faced impressive players from throughout the county. The county finals were at Paint Branch on May 11. Senior Joseph Brailovsky won singles one, senior Andy Xiao and sophomore Simon Hunyuh won doubles one, freshmen Mikey Feldman and Ryan Meyers won doubles two and Eric Feng and Justin Sludd won doubles three. The Patriots had a combined 21 points and were able to edge out Churchill, who had 19 points, and Whitman, who had 18 points, for the county win.
Brailovsky, Nick Hunyuh and sophomore Alex Yeh, Zhang and Simon Hunyuh were all chosen by social studies teacher and coach Fevronia Cresham to play in regionals. Yeh said, “Playing against some of the best players in the region was really cool and seeing some of my teammates play in states was something to remember.”
Zhang and Nick Hunyuh played doubles,Yeh and Simon Hunyuh played doubles, Xiao and Claire Chen played doubles and Brailovsky at singles. All seven members competed at regionals. The regional finals took place at Walter Johnson on May 22. Only Brailovsky and Xiao and Chen were able to advance to the state championship.
States took place at Wilde Lake Tennis Center on May 25 and May 26. After both days the Patriots claimed a state title with wins from Brailovsky, and freshmen Annie Dong and Ellie Esterowitz won girls’ doubles. Combined they had enough points to give the school yet another state championship.
Brailovsky has won his third straight singles state championship and is the first player to do this in Maryland. He will be playing tennis at the University of South Carolina next year.
The Patriots are known in the county for their impressive team every year and their dominant force in the playoffs year in and year out.
The rest of the Patriots will be looking to continue their success next year and hope to follow in the footsteps of their teammates. Simon Hunyuh said, “I am looking forward to next year and hope we can continue our success in the playoff not only next year, but for years to come.”