Boys Lacrosse: Team looks to rebound after three game losing streak

The boys’ lacrosse team took on the Quince Orchard Cougars away. The team lost 10-3 and struggled to put points up on the board. Junior Caleb Metz scored two goals while fellow junior Alex Kim also had a goal.

On Friday May 6. The Patriots took on the Richard Montgomery Rockets at home. The team started out strong, scoring two goals in the first quarter. They also conceded two goals. In the second quarter, the Rockets scored three while the Patriots only managed to score one. The Patriots only allowed one goal in the third, and in the fourth they allowed two and scored one. The goals came from freshman Chris Rinaldi, sophomores Zane Cohen and Nate Gilkey and Metz. In net, junior Seamus Graham had 17 saves on the evening. “It’s never easy to go out there, give it your all and not get the result you want. We know that as a team we can play better than we did,” Gilkey said.

Over spring break on Mar. 29 the team played two games at Leonardtown High School, one game against Leonardtown and one game against Kennedy. The team handled Kennedy soundly, scoring five goals in the first while allowing none. In the second quarter the Patriots scored three, only allowing one goal. The Patriots after taking an 8-1 lead into the second half, came out even stronger, scoring three goals in the final two quarters and shutting Kennedy out in the second half. The goals came from Rinaldi and fellow freshman Brandon Powell, sophomore Evan McLaughlin, juniors Aaron Strauss and Kim, who each scored one goal and fellow juniors Justin Fishman, Caleb Metz and Hunter Band who all added two and senior Jonathan Rosenstein who had two goals of his own. In net Graham saved seven out of the eight shots he faced. “We played really well, when we’re playing our best we’re a tough team to beat,” Rosenstein said.

The second of these two games was against Leonardtown. This game was completely different from the Kennedy game, in the sense that the game was closer and it also resulted in a loss for the Patriots. The team had some of the momentum carry over from the Kennedy game as they scored five goals in the first quarter to Leonardtowns’ two goals. In the second quarter however,they were outscored 6-3 they were then shut out in the second half while Leonardtown scored four in the third and two in the fourth. Offensively, the team was lead by McLaughlin, who had three goals while Cohen, Metz, Strauss and fellow junior Danny Rothenberg all chipped in a goal.

The teams’ first game of the season was at home against Walter Johnson on Mar. 23. The team played well and won the game 12 -1. Cohen and Band had three goals, McLaughlin had two goals, Metz, Strauss, Kim and Gilkey all had a goal as well. Graham saved six of the seven shots he faced. “We played really well, especially for our first game of the season,” Heiberger said.
The team’s next game is at Northwest tonight at 7:15.

Sam Greene

Senior Sports Editor