Outdoor Track: Impressive start to season leaves team optimistic

In preparation for the first meet of the season, the team competed against each other in time trials on Mar. 13 and 14.
Junior Keith Cartwright finished first in the men’s 100 meter race with a time of 11.68 seconds. Cartwright also finished first in the men’s 200 meter race with a time of 24.50 seconds. In the men’s 400 meter race, junior Shayne Brooks finished first with a time of 53.05 seconds. In the men’s 800 meter race, junior Joe Pohoryles finished first with a time of 2:08.41, a new season record for him. Senior Amir Van Gieson finished first in the 1600 meter race with a time of 4:46.81, a new personal record.

In the women’s 100 meter race, senior Ana Scherf finished first with a time of 13.40 seconds. Scherf also finished first in the women’s 200 meter race with a time of 27.54 seconds, and new personal best for her. In the women’s 400 meter race, sophomore Grace Osman finished first with a time of 1:05.48. In the women’s 800 meter race, junior Jessica Trzeciak finished first with a time of 2:33.41. Trzeciak also finished first in the 1600 meter race, with a time of 5:37.27.

The team’s first meet of the season was supposed to be against Churchill on Mar. 23. However, because of the snow days, that meet was postponed and has been rescheduled for Apr. 24.

Because they did not race against Churchill, the team’s first meet of the season was against Whitman and Richard Montgomery on Apr. 4. In the men’s 200 meter race, Cartwright finished first with a time of 23.30 and junior Noelly Miller finished second with a time of 23.90.

In the men’s 800 meter race, Pohoryles finished first with a time of 2:09.70. Junior John Riker finished second with a time of 2:10.40 and senior Mitchell Fanger finished third, with a time of 2:12.70, which is a new season record for him.

In the men’s 1600 meter race, Riker finished first with a time of 4:48.70 and Pohoryles finished right behind him in second, with a time of 4:52.10. In the men’s 300m hurdles, Brooks finished first with a time of 41.50 seconds. In the men’s long jump event, Cartwright finished first, jumping 20 feet seven inches.

In the women’s 800 meter race, junior Erin Chelf finished first with a time of 2:26.80 and Trzeciak finished second with a time of 2:30.80. Both of these times were season bests for them. In the women’s 1600 meter race, Trzeciak finished first with a time of 5:27.30, also a new season record. The girls dominated the women’s 3200 meter race, finishing with four of the top five runners. Junior Adna Trakic finished first with a time of 12:17.50, and new personal record. Senior Emma Henderson finished second with a time of 12:47.02 and freshman Emma Helgeson finished third with a time of 13:03.40. Henderson set a new season best for her, and Helgeson set a new personal records for her. Sophomore Alyssa D’Arpa finished fifth with a time of 13:36.40, a new season record.

In the women’s shot put event, junior Mary Quackenbush finished first, throwing the ball 25 feet four inches. Junior Haoxuan Wang finished first in the Discus event, throwing the disc 62 feet two inches, a new season best for her. Scherf finished first in the women’s long jump event, jumping 15 feet 2.5 inches. With many athletes scoring new personal and season bests, this meet was successful for the team.

On Apr. 7, the team competed against 13 other teams at the Quince Orchard Cougar Relays. In the men’s one mile race, Riker finished first with a time of 4:47.78, a season record for him. Senior Matthew Klein finished third with a time of 4:53.67, setting a new personal record. Brooks finished first in the men’s 300 meter hurdles, with a time of 42.48 seconds.

In the men’s DMR 1200-400-800-1600 meter relay, the team of Brooks, Van Gieson, Pohoryles, and Riker finished first with a time of 11:03.88. In the men’s high jump, junior Mikhail Brown finished first, jumping six feet, which is a new season best. In the men’s long jump, Cartwright finished first, jumping 20 feet nine inches, a new season best.

In the women’s one mile race, Trzeciak finished first with a time of 5:25.96, a new personal record. In the women’s high jump, junior Lexi Douglas finished in a three-way tie for first. She jumped four feet 10 inches, setting a new season best for her. In the women’s DMR, the team of Trakic, Osman, Chelf, and Trzeciak finished second with a time of 13:17.86.

The team’s next meet is the 13th Annual Viking Invitational, which takes place today and tomorrow.
Ryan Ullman

Senior Sports Editor