Netflix showings that are coming, going

You have just come home from a stressful day at school and all you want to do is get under your covers and watch your favorite Netflix show. But, when you open the app, much to your surprise, your favorite show has disappeared. Every month Netflix has a list of shows and movies that they remove from their inventory because licenses with certain studios and content providers expire if they are not renewed. Here are some of the shows and movies that joined and left Netflix this month.

Marvel’s Jessica Jones (Joined): With this month being Women’s History Month, it was only appropriate that the second season of this show with a female lead be released. This season includes 13 new episodes with some of the cast members returning from the first season (Krysten Ritter, Rachael Taylor, Carrie-Anne Moss, Eka Darville). For some background, season one showed Jones opening a detective agency after her short career as a superhero. In season two, after her encounters with Kilgrave, Jones takes on a new case and this season documents her travels.

50 First Dates (Joined): If you are looking for a classic romantic/comedy, 50 First Dates is a popular one to watch. This movie, starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore, was made in 2004 by director Peter Segal. Henry Roth (Sandler) was somewhat of a player until he met Lucy Whitmore (Barrymore). Lucy was injured during a car accident and has severe short-term memory loss, so she wakes up every morning and cannot remember what happened the previous day. Henry tries to make Lucy fall for him, but he has to repeat this every morning. This movie “is one of my favorites. It is so entertaining and a great rom/com,” senior Jenna Traub said.

Jaws (Leaving): This 1975 classic thriller is leaving this month, so make sure you watch it if you have not gotten the chance to yet. One of Steven Spielberg’s first movies, Jaws is in the top 10 for highest grossing films of all time (470.7 million). Police-chief Brody (Roy Scheider), Ichthyologist Matt Hooper (Richard Dreyfuss) and ship captain Quint (Robert Shaw), set out to kill the shark that has caused terror to the beaches off the coast of Amity Island. This movie is also known for its iconic music that will keep you on the edge of your seat. This is “such a classic movie and it upsets me it’s being taken off Netflix,” senior Zack Lechner said.

Safe Haven (Leaving): Safe Haven is another movie that is leaving this month. This dramatic thriller stars Julianne Hough, Josh Duhamel and Cobie Smulders. Katie Feldman (Hough), moves to North Carolina to escape her past with an abusive ex-husband who happens to be a cop. She gets a job in a small town and meets widower Alex (Duhamel) who she falls in love with. Her ex-husband begins to track her down and things start to spiral out of control when Katie begins to receive threats. “It’s as though the filmmakers lacked the confidence to stick with the basic story, which served every element needed in a Sparks-infused guilty pleasure,” said Michael Granberry from the Dallas Morning News.

Rachel Berman

Staff Writer