Q & A with five returning boys’ varsity lacrosse star players

Common sense sat down with five star players.

Q: How were tryouts compared to last year? Was anything different since there is a new coach?
Jonathan Rosenstein senior midfielder: “I would say tryouts were pretty standard. The only real difference from years’ past was that there was a two-part running test that you had to pass to be able to make the team. You had to be able to run a seven minute and 15-second mile, followed by three sets of three 100 yard sprints.”

Q: How do you think the team will fair after losing 15 players from last year’s team?
Ethan Heiberger senior goalie: “While we did lose a lot of players from last year’s team, we also gained a bunch of kids who were either on JV last year or are freshmen this year. Also, since everyone has gotten older, the kids who are still on the team improved as well.”

Q: What are your expectations for the team for the upcoming season?
Hunter Band junior attackmen: “I feel that this team is good. We have quality players at every position and once the season goes on, our chemistry will get even better and then hopefully the wins come with it. If we play to our fullest potential we will be a tough team to beat.”

Q: What do you feel is the team’s strongest attribute?
Nate Gilkey sophomore attackmen : “I would probably say that this team’s strongest attribute is our heart and the effort that we give. We’re gonna give every game our all no matter who we’re playing.”

Q: Some people may view having a running test to be able to make the team as unfair. What were your thoughts when you heard about it and how do you feel about it after the fact?
Evan Mclaughlin sophomore midfielder: “When I first heard about it, I wasn’t a huge fan of it because we didn’t have anything like this last year but we did have a lot of time to prepare for it. Looking back on it now that I actually did it, it wasn’t too bad. It wasn’t too hard but at the same time it also made you push yourself and it certainly helped get you back into shape.”

Sam Greene

Senior Sports Editor