Spring sports bring students pros, cons

With the spring sports season just starting up, newer athletes here may be having doubts. This pro/con list will highlight the positive aspects unique to spring sports- excluding the obvious ones, like “make new friends,” that apply to any sports season- and refute the cons, to ensure that the decision to play a sport in spring is the right one.

Pro: Allows you to spend more time outside as the weather gets nicer
For months, one step outside was enough to turn your bones to icicles, and while the season of Uggs, Timbs and sweatpants are all fine and good, it seems as if warmer weather can’t come soon enough. When warmer days finally set in, there’s no better excuse to go enjoy the fresh air than playing a spring sport, especially since our afternoons have become filled with homework, video games, Netflix and other inside “activities” that are really anything but active.
Playing a spring sport outside (sorry volleyball) also means the days of being roasted for ashy knees, elbows and/or hands are gone (at least until next year), as the dry winter air will no longer be a problem. In addition, the arrival of shorts weather should be a happy sign for all those whose thighs have become uncomfortably pasty. If the love for the game isn’t enough to draw you to play, the weather certainly should be.

Con: Allergies and humidity
Although I just spent the past two paragraphs preaching the wonders of a lovely spring day, we can’t forget that we live in Maryland, where the weather is always a double-edged sword. Of course with warmer weather and more rain comes the humidity, turning a nice, breezy afternoon into a maliciously moist one. Not only that, but spring also means pollen comes back into play, an issue many athletes have to deal with, especially in sports that induce labored respiration.
That said, I don’t know anyone with a pollen allergy who doesn’t have some sort of medication for it, and while the humidity is nasty and uncomfortable… yeah, I don’t really know how to spin the humidity into a positive light. It builds character? Ok, yeah, sure, that works. Just don’t let it stop you from playing.

Pro: Keeps you motivated during the final stretch of school
The spring season ends just a couple weeks before the end of school (and for seniors, can even extend past graduation). While the senioritis epidemic is highly publicized, month after month of constant school work is enough to drain any student, and being part of a sports team is a great motivator to push through the tail end of the year.
We’ve all had days where we just want to sleep in and ignore all our responsibilities, but missing school means missing practice, so competing is a sure way to get you out of bed in the morning.

Con: Potential for burnout (if multi-sport athlete)
Any athlete who also plays a fall and/or winter sport has some fatigue to deal with when spring rolls around, which can make it harder to give it your all in spring. Everyone needs a break at some point, so for the three-season athletes where the offseason literally doesn’t exist during the school year, it’s expected that the level of energy and excitement will be lower than earlier in the year.
While that may be the case, the change in sport, teammates and coaches usually is enough of a refresher. Also, for the truly elite competitors, the will to win never diminishes. Be like the greats; don’t let a little mental fatigue throw you off from going out and playing.

Pro: If you love your sport enough, then the cons don’t really matter
Cheesy, I know, and this one applies to any season, but it’s the truth. As a spring athlete myself, I can’t wait to compete. If you have any doubts about the spring season, think about why you play, and if it’s anything other than to bolster your college resumé, you should be just fine.

Joe Pohoryles

Front Page Editor