Streaming music made easy thanks to Spotify, Soundcloud, Apple Music

Having access to your favorite music is easy now due to the many music apps and streaming services.

Some of the most common music streaming apps are Spotify, Soundcloud, and Apple music, where people have the opportunity to listen to whatever music they want for a reasonable price.

Spotify was launched Oct. 7, 2008, by Daniel Ek and Martin Lorentzon. With 70 million worldwide paying subscribers, the app has up to 30 million songs at its disposal. “I use Spotify most often because they have all my favorite songs on it and I’m able to make playlists of all the songs I like,” sophomore Katie Barnett said.

Spotify is an app that can be downloaded onto any smartphone or computer. After making an account, there are playlists already made with the most popular music that correlate to a certain mood or event.

Another feature that Spotify provides is the ability to make your own playlists.“I have a lot of different playlists that I made to listen to depending on my mood,” junior Dede Beck said.

Unless the account has Spotify “premium,” playing a certain song on command is not possible. Spotify premium lets people skip as many songs as they want, and look up and play any song on command. A monthly payment of $9.99 is required.

Another popular music streaming service is Soundcloud. Soundcloud was launched in August of 2007 and has around 40 million registered users worldwide.

Soundcloud is a little different from Spotify. This app is an “online audio distribution platform based in Berlin, Germany, that enables its users to upload, record, promote, and share their originally-created sounds,” according to Wikipedia. “A bunch of my friends have made their own music and uploaded it to Soundcloud on their account,” freshman Thomas Jezek said.

Like Spotify, Soundcloud has playlists made by people all around the world that correlate to specific moods and events. People who consider themselves emerging artists who want to become recognized often upload their music onto Soundcloud.

Another popular music streaming service is Apple Music. “Apple Music is a music and video streaming service developed by Apple Inc. Users select music to stream to their device on-demand, or they can listen to existing, curated playlists,” according to Wikipedia.

Apple Music was launched June 15, 2015. This Apple feature is available in most of the world, with the price of $9.99 for a single license, $14.99 for a family license, and $4.99 for a student license.

“I use Apple Music as well as Spotify to listen to my favorite music,” sophomore Katie Barnett said.

If someone doesn’t want to pay for an actual license, one can use a free trial with Apple Music for three months.

There are many other music streaming services one can use to access the music they want, like downloading music onto their device from iTunes or music store of their phone.

Sarah Levine