ONLINE EXCLUSIVE: Wrestling rolls to a close

With the wrestling season coming to an end, the varsity co-ed wrestling team is looking back on their long season. The wrestling team finished with a record of 3-10 and played two tournaments throughout this season. They had some ups and downs and went through some injuries, but most importantly they fought hard until the end.

The wrestling team saw great seasons by senior Jake Warner and freshmen Eric and Jason Liou. Each of these three wrestlers had winning records for the Patriots. Even though wrestling is an individual sport, the wrestling team works together during practice to help each other get better and improve each other’s skills.

Although not the record they were hoping for, the team fought through the season. They saw many of their better wrestlers leave last year and had to replace them with new ones. Many of these wrestlers were new to wrestling entirely and had to be taught the fundamentals. With help from veterans like Warner, the team helped out the new wrestlers and got them ready for their first match.

First-year wrestler, senior Adrian Guerra joined the team to take an open spot in the 195 weight class. The spot was previously occupied by a student who graduated and Guerra stepped up to take the spot. Guerra said, “Wrestling was a cool sport to pick up and I had fun this year.”

Along with Guerra, Jason and Eric Liou were new to the team this year. They quickly were able to help the team out by starting in the 106 and 107 weight classes. They were able to dominate throughout the year and help the Patriots get a couple of wins.

Both Eric and Jason will be making a run for states along with Warner and are hoping to bring a state championship back. Eric Liou who wrestled in the 106 weight class, will be taking over the 112 weight class while his brother, Jason, will be taking over the 106 weight class.

Freshman Eric Liou said, “It was fun being able to wrestle alongside my brother and alongside many of the new wrestlers I met coming into school.”

During the year the Patriots saw their 280 weight class wrestler have to forfeit the season due to a broken leg. Sophomore Benham Sari said, “Even though I couldn’t play most of the season, I still enjoyed it and I am looking forward to next season.”

Each member of the team will start the tournament off at counties and hopefully make a run for states. For some it will be their first time in the tournament and will be their first time wrestling against some of the more elite wrestlers.

The Patriots finished with a record of 3-10 last year, the same as this year, and will be hoping to make some improvements and adjustments to better their record. Through injuries, new additions to the team and seniors leaving, the wrestling team stayed optimistic and is looking forward to next season.

Conor Walsh