JV Boys Basketball: Team looks sharp in first two matchups of season

Under the coaching of Andres Gaines and returning sophomores Jack Moskowitz and Edward Dolan, the team was hoping for a successful start to the season as they took on Magruder on Dec. 5.

The game was back and forth in the first half with a score of 30-26 to start the second half only down by four. The team kept it close until the final five minutes where Magruder hit two back-to-back threes to put the game away. The final score was 59-46 Magruder, giving the Patriots their first loss and a frustrating start to the season. “We should have beaten them because we are more talented than them, we just played bad,” sophomore Jack Moskowitz said.

The talent this team has is made up of leading scorer Moskowitz, who is currently averaging a total of 13.5 points per game. As the leading scorer and also the captain, Moskowitz hopes to lead his team back to another winning season like last year.

There is also plenty of new talent of the team with incoming freshmen Miller Romm, Ethan Chelf, Ryan Feldman and Jacob Kravitz. Romm and Chelf are each guards on the team who are looking to make a major contribution in points and assists. Ryan Feldman and Jacob Kravitz, each freshmen forwards, look to make contributions to the team’s rebounds and on the defensive side. “I am hoping to have a big impact on my team and help them get a lot of wins on the season,” Romm said.

After a devastating loss to Magruder, the team headed to Poolesville trying to get their first win on the season. The team played great defense in the first half led by Feldman’s three blocks to hold Poolesville to only 12 points half and outscoring them by nine points to start with a lead of 21-12 to start the second half. The game was never close as Wootton was leading the whole game besides early on. The second half was higher scoring but it didn’t matter as they finished the game off 45-30. “Winning the game was a good feeling to the season after losing to Magruder and it really boosted the energy of our team,” Feldman said.

The Patriots hopes to improve their record as they face off against their rival Churchill at home on Dec. 15, too late to be included in this issue.

Jonnie Voyta

News Editor