(Trick or) Treat yourself to Halloween festivities

As dusk approaches, your anticipation builds. Every passing minute feels like an hour. Emotions are running wild. You’ve been preparing for weeks and all of your hard work is destined to pay off. The time comes and you burst out your front door, beaming with glee. But, what you see surprises you.

Kids, little ones, at least five years younger than you, have invaded the streets, cackling and screaming with joy. In a moment of defeat and revelation, you realize that you are just too old for trick-or-treating. But, fear not, here are some alternative ways to enjoy your Halloween season.

Markoff’s Haunted Forest: Halloween is a time for good treats and brave feats, and there’s nothing more courageous to do this Halloweekend than walk through Markoff’s Haunted Forest in Dickerson. The famous Montgomery County attraction is celebrating its 25 year anniversary this fall and the scares are expected to be the most frightening yet. Make sure to bring a solid group of friends for emotional support and multiple layers of clothes due to the chilly temperatures that the forest reaches as Oct. 31 draws closer. If you want to capture the true essence of Halloween, walking through the eerie trails of Markoff’s is a must-do.

Pumpkin Picking: If there’s one symbol that represents Halloween best, it’s got to be the pumpkin. The orange fruit has been a trademark of the holiday and has remained at a permanent place on Americans’ front porches for years. This Halloween season, don’t be too shy to head out to your local pumpkin patch and select a few for eating and carving. Some prime spots include Butler’s Orchard in Germantown or the Agricultural History Farm Park in Derwood. “Pumpkin picking is just such a prime activity for fall time and I love going every year,” junior Lauren Yi said.

Scary Movie Marathon: While the holiday is frequently clouded with ideas of candy and parties and costumes, the spirit of Halloween is summed up in one word: spooky. In order to receive an adequate amount of these spooks, look no further than a scary movie marathon, by yourself or with friends. Modern horror movies such as Get Out, Split and The Conjuring do not shy away from the scares but don’t forget to check out the classics like Friday the 13th, The Shining and the aptly-named Halloween. “Scary movies are so much fun all year long,” junior Danielle Dupree said, “but watching them near Halloween makes them extra spooky.”

Host a Costume Party: Even if you’re too old to go trick-or-treating, feel free to dress up like your favorite movie character or a pro athlete. Being in costume all by yourself isn’t too exciting so, encourage your friends to join you and host a full-on costume party. Halloween-centric activities can ensue like bobbing for apples, dancing to “Thriller” by Michael Jackson, and pumpkin carving.

James Barberis

Arts Editor