Track and Field: Team shocks county with Cougar Relays victory

The 2017 outdoor track and field season began with time trials on Mar. 21. The coaches then used the information from the time trials to determine which runners would compete for the top spots.
In the men’s 400-meter race, junior Ambrose Devine finished in first, 0.78 seconds faster than fellow junior Samuel Yi. In the women’s 400-meter race, senior Shireen Chavoshi finished in first with a time of 1:05.56 and sophomore Kayla Hill finished in second with a time of 1:06.28.
The team had their first meet on Mar. 28, against BCC and Walter Johnson. Both the men’s and women’s team won the long jump, led by senior Nicholas Chui and junior Chanel Lucas. In the triple jump, senior Dominic Chow won, jumping 41.9 inches. In the high jump, sophomore Lexi Douglas jumped four ft, 10 in, good enough for first place. Devine won both of the hurdles events, the 100m and 300m, with his new personal best scores. In the 1600-meter race, sophomore John Riker finished in second with a time of 4:39.60, and sophomore Jessica Trzeciak finished in second with a time of 5:34.70.
In the 800-meter race, senior Troy Davis finished in second with a time of 2:09.70, and sophomore Erin Chelf also finished in second with a time of 2:31.20. In the men’s 100-meter race, the team finished with three of the top four finishers. They were led by senior Michael Amobi, who finished in second with a time of 11.50, sophomore Matthew Amobi, who finished in third with a time of 11.60, and sophomore Keith Cartwright, who finished in fourth with a time of 11.70.
The team had their second meet on Apr. 1, at the Quince Orchard Cougar Relays against 21 other schools. In the long jump, Cartwright finished in second after jumping 21 inches. In the women’s distance medley relay 1200-400-800-1600m, the team consisting of Chelf, Trzeciak, Chavoshi and sophomore Adna Trakic finished in second with a time of 13:25.08. In the 300m hurdles, Devine finished second, improving on his previous season record. For only their second meet of the season, the team lived up to their preseason expectations.
In the men’s one-mile race, Riker finished in third with a time of 4:43.45, setting a new personal record. In the women’s one-mile race, senior Valerie Hubert also finished in third with a time of 5:46.96. In the men’s 4×100 relay, the team of Cartwright, both Amobi brothers, and senior Steven Zou finished in third with a time of 44.81. In the men’s 4×400 relay, the team of Yi, Cartwright, Devine and junior Humza Mohiuddin finished in third with a time of 3:36.49. In the men’s distance medley relay 1200-400-800-1600m, the team of Riker, Davis, and sophomores Joe Pohoryles and Julien Bastin finished in third with time of 11:23.38.
The team’s next meet will be on Apr. 21 against 51 other teams at the 12th Annual Viking Invitational, too late to be covered in this issue.

Ryan Ullman

Sports Editor