ONLINE EXCLUSIVE: Students excited for epic slate of concerts

For freshman, sophomores, and especially juniors, second semester is the most stressful time of the year. With loads of homework to complete, quizzes to study for, and extracurriculars, school takes over student’s entire schedules.

Distractions are needed from all this stress. Go to a concert to wipe away all the tears for a night, whether you are into rap, country or pop music, there is an upcoming concert for you throughout the remainder of the school year that will easily be able to distract you from the horrendous idea of school.

The Weeknd: On May 18 the Starboy tour will be performing at the Verizon Center beginning at 7:30 p.m.. This hit album became the third-largest debut of 2016 as it sold 348,000 album copies, and was instantly ranked with five stars on iTunes. Song genres vary from R&B, pop, and explicit rap, while featuring guest appearances from  Daft Punk, Lana Del Rey, Future, and Kendrick Lamar. Students are seen listening the album in their cars and at gatherings. “I always blast the Weeknd’s album in my Jeep and would love to go to their concert. My favorite song is Party Monster,” junior Zack Lechner said.

Chance the Rapper: Almost a year after its release, Chance is finally debuting his Coloring Book album at Jiffy Lube Live on June 6. The album was the first streaming-exclusive album to chart on Billboard 200 within the first week it was released. Coloring Book consists of 13 hip-hop songs with 20 featured artists, ranging from the Chicago Children’s Choir, to Young Thug to Justin Bieber. Tickets have been purchased rapidly ever since Chance announced his tour. “I instantly bought my ticket when I heard that Chance was finally touring and I’ve been counting down the days since. June 6 needs to hurry up already,” junior Gabi Menconi said.

The Chainsmokers: The Chainsmokers will be performing at the Merriweather Post Pavillion on May 26. The doors will open at 5:30 p.m., and the show will begin at 7 p.m.. They plan to release their new album “Memories…Do Not Open” on April 7, which they will feature in their concert. Their hit single “Closer” featuring Halsey ruled the Billboard Hot 100 for a straight 12 weeks. Students are counting down the days until their newest albums release.” “The Chainsmokers are by far my favorite music group. I am dying to go to their concert.” junior Grace Llewellyn said.

Luke Bryan: Country singer Luke Bryan will be performing his “Huntin, Fishin, Lovin Everyday” tour at Jiffy Lube Live on May 12, and at the Merriweather Post Pavillion on June 25. Performers Brett Eldredge, Adam Craig, Seth Ennis, Granger Smith, Craig Campbell and Lauren Alaina will all be joining Bryan as special guests on his tour. Although his most recent album is “Kill the Lights” released in 2015, many country-loving fans will be attending his second tour based on this album. “Listening to country music always makes my day and puts me in a better mood. Luke Bryan is my favorite singer of them all,” freshman Julia Bogart said.

Jordyn Taylor