History, significance behind Lent sacrifices

According to Webster dictionary Lent is, “The 40 weekdays from Ash Wednesday to Easter observed by the Roman Catholic, Eastern, and some Protestant churches as a period of penitence and fasting.” The meaning behind this period of sacrifice is to emulate the sacrifice that Jesus did when he went into the desert for 40 days.
Some people will give something up. “It’s really hard but I decided to give up pre workout. It may not be as hard as what Jesus did but it still is a huge struggle,” junior Trent Folk said.
According to Christianitytoday.com, the holiday originated in the year 325 when the Council of Nicea talked about a 40 day “Lenten” period of fasting. The holiday originally started on the 40th Sunday of the year. Gregory the Great, who was also known as Pope Gregory the first, changed its start day to the Wednesday of that same week. This day is now known as Ash Wednesday and is marked with people at church putting a small amount of ash on their forehead to symbolize that humans start as ash then eventually turn back into ash so we should live our lives to the fullest. “I don’t really know much about lent but my family does it so I decided to give up junk food. I know I can’t do it the entire time but it’s worth a shot,” junior Bella Lazzaro said.
During the 40 days of Lent there are some days that have their own special significance. For example the fourth Sunday during Lent, is the halfway point and is referred to as Laetare Sunday. The following Sunday is called Passion Sunday, which marks the beginning of Passiontide, the final two weeks of Lent. Then the sixth Sunday of Lent is called Palm Sunday, which marks the beginning of Holy Week, which is another name for the final week of lent. The Wednesday of Holy Week is called Holy Wednesday. That Friday is called Good Friday. While Holy Friday is an important day, the actual end of the 40 days of Lent is on that Thursday which is called Holy Thursday.
People give up things they love because it is important to their family and their family’s beliefs. “I’m giving up Netflix, Twitter, and Instagram. It certainly will be a challenge but I feel like if I try my hardest then I definitely can do it. My parents aren’t forcing me to give anything up but, I know that me participating in Lent makes them happy so I do it even though it’s hard,” junior Myah Owens said.

Sam Greene

Sports Editor