‘Lettuce’ take look at hairstyle taking county by storm

Most teachers and parents can think back to their youth and remember the point in time where mullets were in fashion. They’re most often associated with the ‘80s along with shoulder pads and perms. But fashion trends usually end up making comebacks, which is the case with the mullet.
Kids these days refer to mullets under different terms – lettuce, flow, salad – but nonetheless, they are back in style. The cut is closely associated with both hockey and lacrosse players, as the hair flows elegantly out of the backs of 0 helmets. There is no shortage of these luscious locks here and it isn’t hard to spot students sporting the look.
According to the E:60 documentary “Minneflowta”, a film from ESPN, the hair legacy began in the state of Minnesota during a statewide high school hockey tournament. The “tradition began in 1963 when player introductions first became part of the tournament. Before the game, each player got a chance to shed their helmet and show off their quaf to everyone in the state.” Each player would be introduced by name, without a helmet, and would get about five seconds to do whatever they please with the attention. “It’s a very big small moment. Am I going to wink; who am I going to say hi to? It’s just a very small passage of time but it’s going to be one that’s kept forever so they want to make sure they get it right,” David La Vaque of the Minneapolis Star Tribune said in the film.
As time has progressed, the hair style continues to become more popular, especially with high school boys. “I play hockey, and I thought having flow would be sick because Patty Kane and TJ Oshie. So I grew it out and it looks really good, so I’ve had it ever since,” junior defenseman Zack Lechner said.
The hair doesn’t only come from athletes. When it comes to keeping your locks in prime condition, senior Michael Vaughan has you covered. “Use hella conditioner. Actually, coconut oil, you best believe,” Vaughn said.
Vaughn is usually seen sporting a hat, which adds to the effect of the hair falling out the back of his hat like Niagara Falls.
While kids may think it’s cool, a lot of parents don’t seem to get it. “I don’t understand the appeal. It didn’t even look good when it was in style in the ‘80s,” my very own mother Lynn Jordan said.
While it may seem hard to believe, a good number of fathers most likely had a mullet in high school, so it would be quite hypocritical for them to tell you to cut your hair.

Max Jordan

Managing Editor