Margaret Myles-Roditis road less traveled

Bus drivers are the guardians of children who guarantee safe passage to and from school every day. One such bus driver is Margaret Myles-Roditis, better known as Margie, driver of bus number 5316.In charge of children from Lakewood Elementary, Robert Frost Middle School and this school, Myles-Roditis takes the responsibility that comes along with the job seriously. Myles-Roditis is devoted not only to her job, but to her family as well. She has a daughter and a son as well as five grandchildren.
Myles-Roditis was not always a bus driver. Her family owns the home improvement business “Myles Painting Company,” where she has been self-employed since 1985. Myles-Roditis proved her devotion to her family when it was in need of insurance. She applied to Montgomery County Public Schools for a job in order to cover the costs of health insurance her family needed.
When considering what path she wanted to take in the public school system, Myles-Roditis said her goal was to be a teacher’s assistant, not a bus driver. Myles-Roditis volunteered at the schools her children attended all the way until they reached high school, gaining knowledge and experience along the way. However, at that time, a teaching position was still not available to her.
When things were looking down, a personal assistant advised Myles-Roditis to consider applying for a school bus driver position. The logic behind the career change was to get into the system, allowing her to transfer at a later point in time. “Till this day I’m so thankful for that suggestion,” Myles-Roditis said.
Myles-Roditis admits she doubted herself during her career change: Learning the mechanics was “a challenge and a worry.” During poor weather conditions she had to especially worry for the safety of the bus and what she called her “precious cargo.” Despite the troubles she faced to reach the position of bus driver, Myles-Roditis says she “[loves] her job” as well as the children.
Although Myles-Roditis’s dream of being a teacher’s assistant was not fulfilled, she found being a bus driver was akin to being a teacher on the bus. Myles-Roditis realized the job provided her with the opportunities to “[reinforce] principles and character” in a casual environment.
With issues arising every day, Myles-Roditis gained a lot of experience when dealing with trouble on the bus. Unlike a teacher, Myles-Roditis gets to see her riders every day for years, allowing her to form bonds with her children.
Her enjoyment of being bus driver does not end on the bus. Myles-Roditis was privileged to witness moments in a child’s life like a child riding the bus for the first time, or seeing a child scared to ride the bus let go of his or her parent’s hand.
She enjoys it when she sees someone come back from college to appear at their old bus stop and takes pleasure in seeing an old rider of hers, even if she receives only a wave from them.
Nothing lasts forever, even if it is a job that one enjoys so thoroughly. Myles-Roditis plans to retire in two years at the age of 66. Although she describes retirement as “bittersweet,” that is not stopping her plans for the future, to move along the shores of Eastern Maryland accompanied by the memories of her time as a bus driver that will be with her “for the rest of [her] life”.
After 18 years of bus service, Myles-Roditis has left her mark on the students and the community. “Myles-Roditis was a wonderful bus driver who I looked up to and respected,” freshman Jack Rothenberg said.

Aaron Levine

Back Page Editor