Alumnus Caleb Zweig dead after altercation

Rockville native and school alumni Caleb Zweig died on Feb. 3 at Indiana University of Pennsylvania after a fight with a fraternity brother.
Zweig, a 20-year-old English major and member of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity, was reportedly seen in a fight with a fellow fraternity brother at an off-campus house party in front of the house. The unnamed witness saw sophomore Brady Collin DiStephano choking Zweig on the ground when he ran over, pulled Distephano off of Zweig, and immediately called for paramedics.
The emergency responders rushed Zweig to the hospital, but were not able to alleviate his wounds in time and pronounced him dead. “Our hearts are broken,” Indiana University of Pennsylvania spokesperson Michelle Fryling said. “When something like this happens, just tragic and horrible for all involved.”
The next morning police arrested DiStephano under charges of aggravated assault. The police presumed that the boys had been drinking, as there was alcohol at the party they were at, so they could not fully rule out the possibility that Zweig had been killed by alcohol, or even an undiscovered heart problem that Zweig may have had. The following day an autopsy on the body was performed, but the results came back inconclusive. “We couldn’t see any visible injuries at this time, so we’re waiting for results of toxicology and other tests from the autopsy to see what we’ll know,” Indiana County Coroner Jerry Overman told the Indiana Gazette.
Most current students don’t know Zweig since he graduated in 2014. Despite this, the incident still hits home for students who heard of what happened. “Anytime something like this happens to a current or former member of the Wotton community it really upsets everyone who hears about it,” senior Anna Eglitis said. “We are all thinking about Caleb during this time and hope he is resting easy.”

Charlie Eichberg

Editor-in-Chief