JV Boys Basketball: ‘I’ve fallen and I can’t get up’: ugly season ends with seven-game losing streak

The JV boys’ basketball season came to a disappointing end when the team fell to Richard Montgomery 67-54 on Jan. 31. The loss concluded a seven-game losing streak dropping their season record to 4-11.
What was once a season filled with promise turned into disappointment as the team couldn’t find ways to win in close games. The team sat at 4-4 and had been playing good basketball and it looked like they were only going to get better with so much young talent maturing as the games went on.
After the close loss to Rockville, the team faced the Whitman Vikings at home on Jan. 13 looking for a bounce back win. The game was up tempo and teams traded baskets for most of the game. The Patriots were led by freshman Jack Lvovsky who finished as the game’s leading scorer with 23 points. After many lead changes, neither team could pull away in regulation and the game went to overtime. The team struggled to score in the overtime period and the Vikings pulled away late in overtime winning the game 78-73 and handing the Patriots their second straight loss. “This was a game we should’ve won,” sophomore captain Greg Urovsky said.
Still hurt from the heartbreaking loss to Whitman, the Patriots had a chance to bounce back against the Walter Johnson Wildcats at home on Jan. 17. The game was close for the first half with Urovsky and Lvovsky leading the way for the Patriots. Fatigue from the Whitman game may have played a role in the second half as the team wasn’t able to keep it close and the Wildcats were able to pull away late for 60-49 win. This made it three losses in a row for the Patriots, as they again couldn’t find a way to pull away in a close game.
Only two days removed from the Walter Johnson loss, the team traveled to take on the B-CC Barons on Jan. 19. The Barons are one of the best JV teams in the county and it showed as they controlled the game from start to finish. The Patriots couldn’t execute on offense and they allowed the Barons to control the tempo of the game. This lead to the Barons pulling away and winning the game 62-47.
The Patriots traveled to take on Einstein on Jan. 25 looking to end a four-game losing streak. The Patriots got off to a rough start and Einstein jumped out to a big lead early. The Patriots didn’t quit though and Lvovsky knocked down some big shots to lead a Patriots run and the game got close heading into the fourth quarter. Lvovsky got hurt during the game, but later returned. The Patriots may have used up too much energy during their comeback, because they couldn’t keep it going in the fourth quarter and they fell for the fifth game in a row 62-51, dropping their season record to 4-9.
On Jan. 27, the team traveled to Churchill to try to get a big win over their rival. Again, the team battled, but they struggled to execute. Churchill controlled the tempo of the game and they out-executed the Patriots. The Bulldogs pulled away late handing the Patriots their sixth straight loss.
Looking to end the season on a high note, the Patriots faced Richard Montgomery at home on Jan. 31. They had already beaten them once and they were trying to replicate that performance. This game didn’t go like that one and the team’s struggles continued as they kept it close for most of the game and then couldn’t pull away late. Richard Montgomery made some big shots and pulled away late to avenge their earlier loss to the Patriots. Their seventh straight loss put their season record at 4-11. “I had a lot of fun this season, but I was disappointed that we couldn’t win more games,” sophomore Chris Vondas said.
The team fought hard in every game and they were in contention with every team. They were a young team and were unable to pull out close wins throughout the season. “It didn’t turn out how I wanted but we got better as a team,” Urovsky said.

Joey Voyta