Scholarship lets Doran’s legacy live on

Eight months after the death of former principal Michael Doran, a scholarship was created in his honor. Doran’s family with the help of the PTSA, established the Dr. Michael J. Doran Scholarship Incorporation with intentions to provide financial support to graduates whose parents did not attend college.
The scholarship is not restricted to only those students but is open to anyone. Since the scholarship has been founded, it has supported four graduates by helping them achieve their goals with going to college. Doran was the first in his family to go to college hence why the scholarship program means so much to his family and loved ones. “There were originally only supposed to be two winners last year but they had a hard time deciding so there were four. Anyone can apply for the scholarship but those with really compelling stories are more likely to be considered,” counselor Lynda Hitchcock said.
Those who won the scholarship include graduates Valerie Segal, Michelle Fan, Andrew Guiberson and Malcolm Amobi. According to the Dr. Doran Scholarship website, these four students “embody the ideals of Dr. Doran,” which is a major factor.
After students have a strong idea of where they are going to college, in May, his wife, Kathy Lavinder, releases the application. Students are encouraged to visit the website to learn more about it and donate to the corporation.
Besides the scholarship being made in Doran’s honor, a writing contest was started as well. Each year this contest comes out with a prompt that students must follow using their creativity and imagination, “I participated in the writing contest last year and even though I didn’t place, it was a really great experience and I’m glad I got a chance to do it,” junior Nabila Okudo said.
This year the prompt asks students to write a story about “a world where everybody has a superpower and your character is the only one without one.” Posters have been hung up around the school giving more information and reminding students of the contest. The top three winners will each receive money, first place being $150, second place with $100 and third place with $50. The second place winner of last year’s writing contest was current senior Jaity Saha. “I really enjoyed it and I had a fun time writing my essay and it was a really great way to honor our principal,” she said.
Although Dr. Doran is no longer with us, his legacy will live on forever as the scholarship and contest created in his name continues to support students and their dreams.

Ava Castelli

Staff Writer