National Honors Society leadership handed off

At school there are multiple clubs that have made significant contributions to the community, including the National Honors Society. The NHS new sponsors are Anne-Marie Steppling and Jennifer Bauer. The former sponsor was Fevronia Cresham along with Steppling and Bauer, who worked together with the class of ‘09. This year Cresham is sponsoring SGA and asked Steppling and Bauer to take over co-sponsoring the club.
The society has four main goals: to create enthusiasm, to stimulate a desire to render service, to promote leadership, and to develop character in high school students. They also provide tutoring for struggling students.
NHS provides services for the community and holds fundraisers to help the community and other parts of the world. They are planning a cookie dough sale for students in Kenya later on this year. The money they raise from fundraisers goes to charity.
The NHS’s annual Walk for the Homeless is coming up on Sept. 30. “The National Honors Society does a lot of things that help our global community and our local community for the better. We do breakfasts for the homeless, we do walks and fundraisers,” Steppling said.
Since the NHS is an honors club, membership involves specific requirements. Students in 10th grade and above can join, and are required to have a GPA of 3.5 or higher. Students have to be able to maintain this grade for the whole time they are in the club. Applications open in late February and close in March.
The National Honors Society (NHS) is the school’s largest club, next to BBQ Club. National Honors Society was officially established in 1921 by The National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP).
According to the NHS website, the organization grew from the original Alpha Chapter at the Fifth Avenue School in Pittsburgh to more than 1,000 chapters by 1930.
The NHS organization quickly developed into one of the country’s leading educational groups.

Catalina Escalante