Fun festivities to fall for this season

The Pumpkin Spice Latte is not the only thing we are blessed with when autumn comes around. When the leaves change, both the weather and Maryland get a little cooler.
Whether you prefer winter over summer or vice versa, fall trumps every other season. It’s cold enough to wear a jacket, but not so cold that you suffer just standing outside. It’s also football season, enough said.
Celebrate this season and treat yourself to some fun fall activities.
Pumpkin picking- Fall, being the greatest, also comes with the best holiday: Halloween. Soak up the nostalgia and head to your a local farm to pick out the prettiest pumpkin in the patch. We all know this was a major highlight of everyone’s childhood. Some of the farms in the area are Butler’s Orchard and Homestead Farm.
Visit the Haunted Forest- Even though you may suffer from nightmares for the next month and a half, patroning one of the many haunted forests/hayrides in the area makes for a great night out with friends. I suggest Markoff’s Haunted Forest or the Field of Screams.
Football Games- Ah, football season. We can admit that we all get a little happier and a little less irritable when our favorite teams are playing. Spending a Sunday afternoon at FedEx Field or M&T Bank Stadium would make anyone happy. If you don’t feel like schlepping your way to DC or Baltimore, come to James A. Coles Field on a Friday night (our team is okay this year!! Finally!!)
Have a bonfire- The best part about fall may be the weather. Warm up with friends on a Saturday night and roast marshmallows in front of the fire; there’s absolutely nothing better than a night full of good friends and s’mores.
Go Downtown- Now that DC isn’t the gross humid swamp town with the blinding heat we all experience in late August, one can finally enjoy going downtown without feeling like they’re melting. DC has a lot to offer to those looking for a fun fall day. Walk around the National Mall, or go to a museum you’ve never been to before. Be sure to make a pit stop in Georgetown for some shopping.
Visit the National Zoo- The Smithsonian National Zoo is a treat to visit year-round, but in the fall they hold the annual “Boo at the Zoo,” a fun Halloween-themed event that includes decorated trails and treats for everyone.
See a baseball game- Fall baseball is a blessing. Camden Yards and Nationals Park are beautiful this time of year, and it’s always fun to be out there with the crowd. Unlike seeing a game in the summer, you won’t be in the sweltering heat.

Julia Stern

Social Media Editor