Teaching Styles Categorized

Every student in this school has one thing in common: teachers. We all gossip about teachers, both the positives and negatives. And teachers, we know you do the same about students. But why keep up the gossip and chatter behind the scenes when we can directly solve the issue?
Teachers, we love you. We would not be where we are today without you all and you do so much for each and every student that walks in and out of your door, whether that student be yours or another teacher’s. Although we appreciate and value you, there are some things we as students students wish we could change. “It is really important to me to have a teacher with certain qualities,” junior Margot Bartol said.
The Lazy: Undoubtedly, this is the worst thing that could happen with a teacher: taking forever to grade a paper, and an eternity to upload it on gradebook.  Teachers, we understand that you have many other papers to grade, but we have many other courses to take, and eliminating the stress of not knowing a grade would greatly help us. In order to get around this issue, students, you have to nudge your teacher as much as you can, or else they will never get this task done.
The Unclear: As you sit in class and feel like your teacher is speaking a foreign language (and you happen to be in a math class), your teacher is probably close to this. “Teachers are supposed to teach,” freshman Molly Gleicher said . “It’s hard when I do not understand and they do not help.”
A way to deal with this common issue is to find help elsewhere. Is your teacher not the right fit for you? Can’t switch out of the class? Find a different teacher who knows the subject to help; you would be surprised how many resources our school offers.
The Disorganized: Is your teacher losing papers, late to class or has absolutely no idea what the Google classroom code is? If you said yes to any of that, your teacher may be a tad unorganized. “Teachers that are disorganized are annoying because it disrupts my learning,” sophomore Danny Rothenberg said.
Unfortunately, the only way to get around this issue is to pay attention in class and hope for the best.
The Favoritism: The teachers who play favorites are up there with the lazy. Playing favorites among students is unfair and unnecessary. “Every student deserves to be treated the same way,” junior Joseph Brailovsky said. “It’s unfortunate when they play favorites.”
It is hard to get around this issue, but if you work hard and pay attention in class, you will soon be the favorite.
Students get seven teachers per semester, a gamble between any one teacher in a department. Teachers need to start figuring out how to get around these obstacles because it is unfair to us as students. We need to speak up and get the help we deserve; after all, our future is in their hands.

Katie Schreck

Features Editor