Football: Patriots hope to keep streak

After a long summer full of workouts and watching film, the football team’s hard work has paid off as they won their first game over Kennedy 39-14. The boys look to improve upon last year’s record of 3-7 and make it to the playoffs.
Before that, the team played an away game at Kennedy on Sept. 2. The game started out slow, but by halftime the boys had created a solid 25-13 lead, and never looked back. They extended their lead and dominated Kennedy in a 39-14 blowout.
The team put up impressive stats in both the pass game and rush game. Junior quarterback Grant Saylor threw for 270 yards on 17 completions, and finished the day off with three touchdown passes. “I know I have to step up my game this year,” Saylor said. “If we play to our full potential, I know we can compete with any team in the county.”
The receiving core for the Patriots has a completely different look this year. Sophomore Noelly Miller made his first start at wide receiver, and proved himself worthy of the spot. Miller caught eight passes for 120 yards and one touchdown. Junior Mike Pisarra also made a huge leap this year, converting form offensive lineman to tight end. Pisarra reeled in four catches for 93 yards and two touchdowns in his receiving debut. Another transition player is former quarterback Phillip Garrett, who switched over to wide receiver this season. Garret caught two passes for 39 yards in the win.
“It’s a whole different ball game when you’re not on the line,” Pissara said. “I love my team and I would play any position they need me to as long as we win the game.”
The team was effective on the ground as well, with seniors Michael Amobi and Dean Spitz leading the day with 50 and 30 yards respectively, and a touchdown each. Spitz was the power rusher, and barreled his way in for his score, while Amobi used finesse to avoid defenders on the way to his touchdown.
Defensively, the team dominated Kennedy, letting up just three first downs in the entire game. On top of that, they converted two safeties on the day. Senior defensive tackle Geoff Pisarra leads a solid defensive line this year along with junior defensive end Nashon Plumber and sophomore Lucas Portes.
Prior to the season and over the summer, the team held workouts to get players in shape. The workouts were Monday through Thursday every week and consisted of lifting, conditioning and film watching. “I think the workouts really got people in shape,” Pisarra said. “It’s not easy to go out there on hot summer days and grind like that but I know our team benefited from it.”
The team takes on the Quince Orchard Cougars on Sept. 16 but the game was played too late to be covered in this issue.

Charlie Eichberg

Editor-in-Chief