News Briefs- September 19

2017’s best colleges
The U.S. News & World Report 2017 Best Colleges Rankings were released to the public the week of Sept. 12. Out of the 18,000 colleges surveyed, only 1,374 were ranked.
The top three colleges according to the rankings are Princeton, Harvard and The University of Chicago and Yale tied for third. The college rankings are based on 15 measures of academic quality, which include graduation rate, faculty and financial resources and retention.
Five schools in the state of Maryland received rankings. John Hopkins retained their number 10 spot, and is the best college in the state of Maryland. The University of Maryland, College Park is number 60 and The University of Maryland – Baltimore County is ranked number 159, according to patch.com. The United State Naval Academy was ranked number 12 among all National Liberal Arts colleges. Loyola University Maryland is ranked number three among Regional Universities according to path.com.
New iphones relesased soon
Apple’s newest products were launched to the public on Sept. 16. The new products are the iPhone7 and the iPhone7 plus. The new phones have screens that are respectively 4.7 and 5.5 inches.
The iPhone 7 will have a larger and improved camera, while the iPhone7 plus will have a dual-camera system, according to cnet.com. The new products will also be water resistant and will have a new home button.
The iPhone7 will cost $649 and the iPhone7 plus will cost $769, according to apple.com. The phones will also have speed two times faster than the iPhone6 and will have the longest battery life of any iPhone. The audio aspect will also be different than previous iPhones.
The iPhone7 will have a new speaker system and will be two times louder than the iPhone6, according to apple.com. Coming out along with the iPhone7 are new headphones known as AirPods. AirPods are wireless headphones that only work with the iPhone7 and will cost $149.
Road named after officer killed in drunk driver incident
Officer Noah Leotta was killed when he was struck by a drunk driver while on duty at a DUI checkpoint. Maryland governor Larry Hogan will dedicate part of Georgia Avenue in Olney to Leotta in his honor, according to nbcwashington.com.
Leotta was born and raised in Olney and that’s where his body is now buried. Leotta was only 24.
“It reminds us of the sacrifice of Noah and all the men and women in blue, and it also reminds us of the senseless and tragic deaths of all drunk drivers,”
Rich Leotta, his father said. Luis Reluzco, the driver who crashed into Leotta had a blood alcohol content of that three times the legal limit, and marijuana and Xanax traces were found in his system, according to nbcwashington.com.
“To have a sign like this unveiled along a busy roadway like this really demonstrates that people do honor his sacrifice. They do honor the work that he did,” Tom Manger, Montgomery County Police Chief said.

Radley Ellenbogen

News Editor