Juniors feeling stress, excitement

Photo by Chloe Wharton
Juniors David See and Charles Freedman talk about their expectations for senior year.

Juniors are feeling a range of emotions as they transition into their senior year. SATs, AP classes, applying for colleges and extracurricular activities are all important and contributing to stress.

Transitioning into the last year of high school is bittersweet. There’s the excitement of moving into a new chapter of life, but also the realization of never being able to go back. “I’m feeling a mix of excitement and sadness when I think about all my lasts like my last homecoming, prom, high school experiences and graduation. I’m looking forward to making many memories with my friends that I will be leaving behind after graduation,” junior Lola Rothman said.

Junior year is considered to be the toughest year in high school. “Even with all of the stress of school work and getting ready for college that occurs during this year, it’s the penultimate year of high school, so you have to make sure you have lots of fun and live it up,” junior Ryan Gerstenzang said.

Junior Makayla Ofori said the most stressful parts of junior year for her were the AP classes, SATs and college prep. “Don’t take stupid classes. Make sure they’re aligned with what you’re going to major in your career and don’t take what your friends are taking, challenge yourself,” Ofori said.

For senior year, Rothman is most stressed about getting ready for college and working on all of her essays over the summer. “I will be planning a lot of visits to lots of different colleges. I’m also trying to take a lot of AP classes my senior year which will be very stressful,” Rothman said.

Aside from getting good grades and applying for colleges, juniors also want to ensure they are keeping a good balance in their schedule and building in times when they can relax. “You need to embrace the challenges you will come across. It’s important to celebrate even if you don’t do well on something, there’s always room to improve. It’s also very important to make great memories by getting involved. It’s important to get involved because you can meet so many great people along the way,” Rothman said.

Gerstenzang is excited for his final year here at this school. “I’m most excited for a really fun year full of lots of stuff going on and just making the most out of my last year at Wootton while having lots of fun,” Gerstenzang said.

There are incredible amounts you can accomplish in junior year. Ofori is most proud of earning the seal of biliteracy.

Gerstenzang is most proud of maintaining a good balance between getting good grades, doing lots of extracurricular activities and spending time with friends and family.

Rothman is most proud of herself and her photographs this year. “I have really come out of my shell, and since then I have been able to do so much more. My photography has gotten so much better and I’m now receiving such great comments on my work from art shows and competitions.”