Where to find prom dresses

Photo by Danielle Ram
Senior Georgina Kaddu looks for prom dresses on Revolve.

Senior prom is on May 24: With less than two weeks till the big day, seniors are scavenging to find their perfect prom dress. Websites and brick and mortar stores offer a multitude of dresses, ranging from huge, poofy princess dresses, to simple maxi dresses.

Popular stores include Hello Molly, Oh Polly, White Fox, Revolve, Beginning Boutique, and Lucy in the Sky. When considering a prom dress online, it is important to review the refund and return policy so you can make sure that in case the dress does not work, you can solve the problem. Some stores offer full refunds while others only offer store credit. Senior Lindsey McNey ordered a prom dress from Lucy in the Sky. “The dress I got was not everything I had hoped for but I wasn’t aware of the returns policy and now I am stuck with store credit instead of a full refund. I wish I would’ve looked before I bought the dress,” McNey said.

In person stores include Windsor, South Moon Under, David’s Bridal, Anthropologie and Ann Taylor Factory Store. FInding a prom dress in person has benefits because you can try on the dress before you buy it, and you don’t have to wait for the dress to be delivered. It relieves a lot of stress about shipping on time for when you need the dress. “I got a dress for $200 online and it came in the wrong size so I wanted to send it back for a refund but they only give store credit and they didn’t have a dress like that in the right size so that was really annoying that I couldn’t just go on a different website to get another dress,” senior Andrea Santos.

Though it is hard to predict when something ordered online will actually arrive, online stores provide ways to track your package and are usually easy to contact about inconveniences. “It was a hard process for me because I wasn’t sure if the dress would even fit me right and most of the dresses I saw I didn’t like so it took a lot of looking and time. I had to wait for deliveries before I could even try the dress on and then decide then,” senior Georgina Kaddu said.
When finding the perfect prom dress it is important to consider comfort. You are going to be in that dress for a couple of hours and prom is not going to be enjoyable if you are concerned with your dress the entire time. You should be able to comfortably move, sit, and dance in your dress. “I bought two dresses and loved one more than the other but it was just so hard to move in I didn’t think I could spend the whole night in it. I had to constantly pull the top up while simultaneously pulling the bottom down. It was frustrating so I chose the other dress that was a lot more comfortable,” senior Kelly Ren said.

Looking for your prom dress should be a fun and memorable time. This is the chance to pick a dress that encapsulates who you are. There are many places to find dresses so take the time to find the perfect dress for you.