Playing sports in style, comfort

Photo by Edwin Lomotan
Senior Maria Sofronas #19 and sophomores Annalise Yi #13 (this writer), Megan Lomotan #4, and Izzy Caban #6 sport their new jerseys during their game against Watkins Mill.

High school sports aren’t just enjoyed for competition: They are also meant to be fun and a chance for students to be able to wear their school on their clothes with pride. Something that may be overlooked during high school sports is the importance of a fresh jersey kit.

A popular issue in the professional sports industry is the apparel sports teams wear during their season. Student athletes also have complained over the years about not having a good quality jersey for their season.

The varsity girls’ soccer team was one of the only sports teams to get new jerseys this year. The junior varsity team received varsity’s old jerseys. Boys’ soccer did not receive new jerseys this season. This raised an issue of perceived unfairness for not just boys’ soccer, but other teams that weren’t able to get new jerseys as well. “I think it was unfair that boys weren’t able to get new jerseys like the girls’ team. Our jerseys were worn out and didn’t look nice,” sophomore JV soccer player Kioko Kibua said.

Many factors contribute to why sports teams feel they need to change their jerseys yearly, one of them being safety. For sports like football, lacrosse, and hockey, which require padding and a high quality jersey during intense games, athletes may feel they have worn-down jerseys that don’t meet the safety standards. “I think players should not be given worn down jerseys because it is unfair for us to play in jerseys that don’t fit, or are in bad shape,” freshman lacrosse player Malia Bellamy said.

Athletes are required to wear jerseys that the school provides, which can create negative feelings among players because they don’t like how the jersey looks or feels. As the jerseys are passed down through the years they may become worn down and typically aren’t as clean as when they are new. “I remember when I first got my [passed down] lacrosse jersey, it smelt and felt pretty weak in quality,” sophomore lacrosse player Justin Heller said.

Having new jerseys can promote team unity as it can symbolize a team’s identity. This helps emphasize the fact that athletes are all on a team together and belong. Team chemistry is increased when having new jerseys because it creates a positive atmosphere. “I believe getting new uniforms every year is great as each year the team is different. Each team should have a different identity from previous years. Players feel fresh and clean in new uniforms, which definitely makes players feel confident and play better than wearing 10-year-old jerseys,” sophomore JV baseball player Nathan Zweig said.

Student athletes say that having aesthetically pleasing new jerseys can cause a boost in confidence, as well as give them motivation and positively influence the players’ overall performance. If you wear high-quality apparel, you might develop the self-perception of an experienced athlete. “Whether or not this perception is accurate, it can boost your self-esteem. Similarly, wearing clothes that make you look intimidating can make you feel bigger and stronger,” sports ed tv said.

New jerseys can also encourage better hygiene habits such as their hygiene. Athletes say they are more likely to take care of and regularly wash their uniforms when they are new and fresh. “I think if football got new jerseys yearly I would probably take care of it so much more because of how good quality it is and since it looks much nicer,” junior football player Thomas Mehler said.

However, while providing new jersey kits for high school athletes is important, the cost of jerseys is an issue that makes it impossible for schools to replace uniforms annually. For example, the new jersey that varsity girls’ soccer received this year cost $6,200, according to athletics director Alton Lightsey. “Every four to five years, teams get new uniforms. Prices vary based on the sport, number of athletes and types of uniforms,” Lightsey said.
Despite the prohibitive cost of replacing uniforms annually, the need for them is great. MCPS should budget accordingly and provide more support for teams to raise money themselves to offset the cost.