Asynchronous day impacts teachers, students

Photo by Shayna Fleischer
On Apr. 22, students had a day of working and catching up on missing assignments from home during an asynchronous day. Students worked on assignments given by teachers.

On Apr. 22, students had a day of work and catching up on assignments from home during an asynchronous day, which was added to the calendar because of an extra snow day in the winter.

Before the asynchronous day was added, it was a planned professional day for teachers and a no-school day for students. During the asynchronous day, students were assigned work to do from home. Teachers still had a professional day and had to plan for the upcoming quarter on top of assigning work that day.
Teachers had to assign work to students that they had to complete by May 2. The work had to take under 30 minutes and students had to complete it to be marked present for that day. The assignments were graded for participation points.

This day was supposed to be a teacher planning day with teachers in contact with students but students report that teachers did not respond to their emails with questions about assignments. “I could not get in touch with my teachers to ask questions and they were not responding to my emails. They did not provide me with enough instructions on how to complete the assignment,” freshman Lily Zaidermen said.
Students say that they did not like the asynchronous day and thought it was unneeded. “The asynchronous day in my opinion was not my thing. I had a lot of questions about many assignments, and many teachers were busy and not responding as they were doing grading or other important stuff,” freshman Noa Lucas said.

Teachers said this day was unnecessary. “It was pointless because we couldn’t give an actual grade for the assignment and had to be practice prep. It was also completely unnecessary and I did not like it,” history teacher Casey Hopkins said.

Teachers had to give a short assignment but many exceeded that rule. “I got a lot of assignments from each class that I felt took me longer than 30 minutes so I ended up doing a lot of work for each class that took me longer than it should have,” Zaidermen said.

The asynchronous day gave students time to complete assignments but when they are home they don’t want to do them. Instead, they want to sleep and do other activities like going outside. “I feel that it is better to either give a day off or have us go to school since it chooses one or the other. Asynchronous days try to choose both. Even though I got to sleep in and have some extra free time, I felt rushed to do my schoolwork and that I was not giving it my best try since I was at home and could be doing other stuff, like going outside or taking a nap,” Lucas said.