Students find joy at spring pep rally

Photo by Gurnoor Sodhi
On Apr. 19 at the pep rally, senior Jai Gurewitz, sophomore Theo Gittleson and senior Sebastian Valdivia compete in the cake eating contest to see who can finish a slice first without the use of their hands.

As spring rolls in, so does the spring pep rally. The Apr. 19 pep rally, hosted by SGA and held during advisory, was the last pep rally of the year, and for the seniors their last pep rally ever.

The spring pep rally included the introduction of the spring sports teams, dances by three groups and games. “As a member of SGA, I think the pep rally ran well and we were happy that students were still able to attend even though it was during their advisory time,” sophomore Maya Bellamy said.

The pep rally began at 10:53 a.m. when the poms performed with a variety of upbeat songs to get the energy up. Next up was the Afroelites dance club.

Then came the games, starting with a relay race. The six relay contestants had to spin around a lacrosse stick 10 times, then hop into a sack, jump down the field and sprint back. The junior team won this event.

Next up was the introduction of all varsity sports teams including baseball, boys’ and girls’ lacrosse, softball, boys’ and girls’ tennis, rack and boys’ and coed volleyball. As each team introduced themselves, they mentioned their records as well as their upcoming game. The girls’ lacrosse team included a skit about their victory over rival Churchill and performed a rap to recap their season.

Next came the Get Groovy club (formerly Woottonettes). The all boy group performed a dance to a mix of songs, with choreography by a few members of the poms team. “I enjoy being a part of the Get Groovy club because it is a fun chance to have a laugh and be with my friends,” sophomore Blake Graham said.

As the students were about to leave for lunch, one of the most exciting parts came to end the pep rally: the cake eating contest. This was a fun way to end the pep rally as students and staff competed. Students said they enjoyed the final pep rally of the year. “Being in SGA gives me the chance to see the planning of the pep rallies as well as how they go through, I think this pep rally went very well for the amount of time we had, but I think going back to the original pep rally schedule is more exciting and fun for students,” junior Paige Euler said.