Three indie movies, 10 years apart, reviewed

Photo by Ahmed Ibrahim
Junior Youssef El-Herraoui watches 2004 thriller film “Mysterious Skin” on the night of Apr. 14.

Indie movies have been around since the beginning of cinema, as every big filmmaker started out making indie darlings. These movies are known for their character-driven narratives. Because there’s no major studio backing the picture up, it’s forced into low-budget territory. This allows for storytelling and authenticity to shine. I invited junior Youssef El-Herraoui over to watch three indie films, from three different decades, to see just how much they’ve changed over the years.

Obvious Child (2014)

In Gillian Robespierre’s directorial debut, which stars Jenny Slate, we’re introduced to Donna, a woman nearing 30 who works in a bookstore and is often likened to… Anne Frank? This quirky characterization might seem like a typical trope, but in Robespierre’s hands, it becomes a vehicle for exploring relatable content with depth and authenticity.

As one of the first films in entertainment company A24’s wide catalog, the film stands out for its focus on storytelling in a year flooded with big-budget, ensemble-filled blockbusters. Despite its intimate scale, the film tackles weighty themes like unplanned pregnancy and abortion with humor, warmth and sincerity. In an environment where such topics are often tiptoed around, “Obvious Child” bravely confronts them head-on. It serves as a reminder of the ongoing need for stories that address real-life issues, but could it have done more? “The ending felt abrupt and there was a lot of potential just left on the floor for a movie with almost no dull parts,” El-Herraoui said

Mysterious Skin (2004)

“Mysterious Skin” is an unflinchingly intense journey through uncomfortable subject matter. It’s a gritty exploration of the lives of two young men scarred by childhood trauma. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Brady Corbet deliver gripping, authentic and controlled performances that capture the characters’ essence with precision. With the film falling under Gregg Araki’s wing, these challenging themes are navigated with such care. The choice to include snippets of flashbacks, prompting rather than explicitly showing the trauma, adds layers of depth to the already stomach-churning narrative. Overall, “Mysterious Skin” is a haunting yet strangely touching cinematic experience that I don’t think I could handle watching again.

Clerks (1994)

Over the years, audiences have looked at “Clerks” from a melancholic perspective, seeing that Kevin Smith was never able to replicate its success. That’s a view I can understand; however, I think this loses sight of just how amazing this debut is. At first, I’d categorize “Clerks” with “The Daytrippers”: movies inspiring generations of future filmmakers to tell stories with short-end budgets. But in the first minutes, you forget all about that and see just how well the film stands on its own two feet. The off-key acting is important to this, and even though the first few scenes feel like SNL sketches, the characters are constantly relatable no matter what crazy storyline they’re thrown into. “It’s easy to enjoy. Some movies, I get too invested in the plot and get mad at the outcome: this movie was just a fun watch,” El-Herraoui said.

Despite the time gap between these films, they prove that indie films have always offered a glimpse into the human experience, and they continue to tackle weighty themes with courage and sincerity. Indie cinema continues to stand the test of time, reminding us of the power of storytelling beyond the constraints of big-budget blockbusters.