Opinions about art classes vary among students

Photo by Cameron Cowen
Sophomore Nusrat Nowsin completes a ceramics project during advisory on Apr. 16. Nowsin enjoys doing artwork in her free time because it provides a break from her tough schedule. “Whenever I do art I feel happier and less stressed,” Nowsin said.

Sophomore Chase Mitchell recalls a time when he was excited to attend his art classes and found peace in the unique type of learning that art classes provide. But as Mitchell becomes closer to the end of his high school career, he is becoming more and more reluctant to enroll in these same classes he once enjoyed. Nowadays, Mitchell would rather take a class that will better prepare him for his future or will improve his chances of getting into a good college instead of art classes like ceramics or studio art.

While there are students who are passionate about art, the number of students who see little value in art courses is increasing significantly.

MCPS requires students to take one credit of fine arts during their high school career. While this does increase participation in art classes, students may choose not to take any additional art classes after those that they need to graduate. “I only took ceramics to get my art credits,” Mitchell said.

The value of art classes has also decreased in the eyes of students due to the fact that students believe they will have little impact in preparing them for their professional future. Since few students choose to pursue art as a career, less students have found value in art classes. “They’re not important because I don’t want to major in art in college and I just took it for my credit,” sophomore Joanna Jacob said.

Another contributing factor to the decreasing importance of art classes is their class weight. Students would prefer to take classes that will increase their weighted GPA and would improve their college application. “Most art classes are unweighted, which has a negative impact on weighted GPA,” junior Yury Rusakov said.

On the other hand, students who have taken art classes believe that they do have unique benefits that other classes do not, such as being less rigorous, which allows for a break for students during the stress of a school day. Art classes being easier also allows students to try new skills without risk. “It encourages students with little to no experience to try the class without risking a low grade,” Rusakov said.

Students have also found satisfaction in the unique type of work and challenges that can only be found in art classes. For example, art classes allow students to think creatively and work hands-on, unlike other classes that require them to be working with a pen and paper or a Chromebook throughout the course. “They allow students to show their creativity more than other classes,” Mitchell said.

Students have also appreciated the ability to try something new that they don’t otherwise have opportunities to practice. Subjects students have the ability to try include fashion design, pottery, painting and photography. “I started the class with no ceramics experience and have greatly improved since,” Rusakov said.

Based on the decreasing enthusiasm for art classes in comparison to other classes, some may jump to the conclusion that some of the blame could be placed on the instructors. However, those who have taken art classes have reported feeling overly satisfied with their teachers. “I have had a good experience with Mrs. Pierce as she is helpful and encouraging,” Rusakov said.