DRC lab prepares students for collegiate sciences

Photo by Maya Halpern
Senior Jaiden Larson works on his current solo research project. “I love the freedom this internship provides. I’ve learned so much without feeling the pressure of a normal class,” Larson said.

Hidden in the back corner of the science hallway is James Forsberg’s biology classroom, yet not many know that during the seventh and eighth periods, it is occupied by Dr. Carlos Offutt and his team, running a high-tech research lab. His team consists of seniors from schools across the county, coming to perform a variety of experiments. As Offutt guides students through learning how to create and perform college-level labs, students find themselves enjoying all that the internship can provide.

Since there are no grades directly associated with performance in the lab, students can explore and take their time tweaking their projects. “​​The best part of the internship is the freedom and flexibility that comes with it, which is so different from regular classes where you’re limited because of grades. I’ve been able to explore so much and learn about different lab tools that I’d never heard of before,” senior Daniella Oyekola said.

With the freedom to work within their own time frame, students look forward to the class throughout the day as a chance to enjoy what they’re researching. “The DRC is also just a good place to de-stress and talk to people, with the loose rules allowing for time to decompress from school or finish homework when needed. I’ve learned a lot about time management and how to get projects done while not pushing myself too hard,” senior Jaiden Larson said.

The internship provides participants with the opportunity to design their own labs or participate in the sanctioned ones. Students present Offutt with an idea, and he helps them bring the idea to life. Senior Hayley Cooper said, “I told Dr. Offutt I was interested in pursuing nutrition science in college, so he helped me and my lab partner to create a lab that ended up taking four months with all of its tweaks but came out as a success. I now have something extra to put on my resume, and I write about the process in some of my college applications.”

At the beginning of this school year, students were working on a research project with NASA, in which they were using machines to test different types of UV-ray effects on melanin. Through this, they were able to network and learn the steps to creating their own labs after they were done participating in this. “It was really cool to know I was doing something that would benefit so many people through NASA. That was probably my favorite sanctioned lab of the year so far,” Cooper said.

Additionally, with the use of the classroom, Offutt also has a laboratory, with improved versions of the technology used in classes like AP Chemistry and biology. Students are able to explore the tools so they are especially prepared for college, already having experience in scientific labs. “I feel like I’m much more prepared for my lab classes at UMD next year. Now that I know what all the tools are and how to use them, I can get started with projects right away,” Cooper said.

Because the internship is so new, not all students know it exists. Students find out through word of mouth, or like Oyekola and Larson, from their counselors. Offutt and the team of MCPS leaders are hoping to extend the internship to other schools across the county in the upcoming years, allowing more students to have the experience. “The mentorship from Dr. Offutt and the experience he imparts is second to none at Wootton. It also serves as a great place for connections, and I hope others are able to experience it,” Larson said.