SGA spring project helps ‘Wootton Give Back’

Photo by Gurnoor Sodhi
The SGA wrapped up their spring project with the second annual Color Run. Students had a blast running or walking the one-mile loop and getting covered in the colorful neon powder.

Each year, SGA gets the opportunity to make a difference in the school and the broader community through a spring project. The content and planning for the events are led by student leaders looking to step up to the task. Although the focus of the project varies from year to year, the positive impact is unwavering.

The theme of this year’s project was “Wootton Gives Back.” SGA chose this broad idea with the goal of helping the school directly and the county as a whole. “We have the belief that the most important thing we can do as an organization is give back to the community,” junior SGA historian Madeline Eig said.

Throughout the week of Mar. 11, SGA ran events during the school day to focus on a certain element of the theme. These activities were designed to be engaging, fun and, most importantly, meaningful to the objective of the project. “We want everyone to have fun during spring project and come to as many of SGA’s events as possible,” senior executive council chair Nico D’orazio said.

Monday, Mar. 11, focused on helping hospital patients. Students had the opportunity during lunch to make friendship bracelets and cards for children in the hospital in the Commons. A mini club expo was also hosted by SGA with a focus on clubs that promote health and wellness. The day ended with a Ledo’s Pizza fundraiser, with proceeds going to St. Judes Children’s Hospital.

The project continued on Tuesday, Mar. 12, with disability awareness day. There were a variety of activities in the Commons area such as bracelet making, rock painting for a rock mural and games in the gym. “I think it was really great that we were able to engage in activities as a community and with the school’s disabled individuals,” junior Shivani Jain said.

On Wednesday, Mar. 13, SGA provided an SSL opportunity for students during lunch. In the Commons, care packages were put together by students to be donated to the Rainbow Place Shelter. The local shelter provides women a place to stay overnight in emergency situations. “The mission of Rainbow Place’s Women’s Shelter is to provide women emergency overnight shelter during hypothermia season and assist them as they transition to a better quality of life,” according to the Rainbow Place website.

SGA gave back to the students and staff on Thursday, Mar. 14, with games and gifts. The teachers received a pie potluck from students as a thank you for their hard work. Students were able to participate in “Wootton Feud” in the commons at lunch to win prizes.

The week concluded with “Mental Health Day” on Friday, Mar. 15. Students had fun in the Commons making homemade stress balls. Additionally, SGA member Alex Balian led a yoga session in the main gym during lunch. “It was a really nice way to relieve our stress from the long week,” Jain said.

The Friday pep rally schedule also allowed for the return of a new school tradition, the WHS Color Run. The one-mile loop was open to all students willing to get splattered with neon powder. SGA encouraged participants to wear black and get active in the second year of the run. “The color run is really for the mental health of students. For them to do something that’s fun, gets them outside, running around and creating memories,” Eig said.

This year’s edition of the spring project was a resounding success, according to students and event planners. “I think it’s really cool that we are able to connect all of the different communities within Wootton to work on all the different problems we face. I think that’s what this week is all about,” D’orazio said.