Day in the life of an internship schedule

Photo by Niki Naderi
Senior Niki Naderi arrives before school to watch the sunrise before her four classes and internship.

Wake up
Eat breakfast
Get ready for school
Go to school-7:45 a.m. -2:30 p.m.

This is the daily schedule of a typical high school student. However, when students have an abbreviated/internship schedule, they attend morning classes and work in the afternoon. Students can have periods 1-6 and then leave the building around 12:50 p.m., or have a travel schedule, attending periods 1-4 in the morning, leaving them with more time to work or attend internships.

Senior Niki Naderi is one such student. Naderi’s day starts with waking up at 6 a.m. and getting to school by 7:30. Naderi is currently taking four classes. “My first period I have Honors Modern US History with Ms.Hopkins. My experience with her so far has been great. She is very kind and understanding and I get a ‘big sister’ feeling from her. My second period I have Honors English 12 with Ms. Evans. She is a very nice lady and I had her last year for creative writing. My third period is Honors Statistics with Ms. George. She is a very flexible teacher and I had her last semester as well. My fourth period is Honors Physics with Ms. Huang. After fourth period I head downstairs and sign out in the internship room. I leave school and sometimes I go to Fallsgrove and grab some lunch,” Naderi said.

On Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays Naderi has an internship at Holy Cross Hospital in Germantown. “On Mondays and Friday, I have a shift from 12-4 p.m. so I go immediately after fourth period. On Thursdays, my shift starts from 4-8 p.m. so I have time to spare. The rest of my day is used for homework and other stuff I have to get done,” Naderi said.

Not only does Naderi have four classes to attend each school morning, but a full internship schedule to handle as well. It looks something like this: “Mondays I work in the ICU surgical department at an information desk. I help visitors go to their patient’s room or help out grieving families. I comfort them and assist them to the best of my ability. I also try to keep the department clean. On Thursdays, I work on the women and infant services. One side of the department being labor and delivery for women giving birth and the other side being mother and baby. I make security bags for babies and assist in the NICU. On Fridays, I work in Acute 4 where I talk to patients and comfort them, especially those who don’t have any family. I also stock closets and assist any nurses,” Naderi said.

Even with four academically challenging classes, Naderi is still able to thrive in her internship and help others. Abbreviated schedules are a way for students to expand their knowledge on branches they are passionate about.