Is safety in Montgomery County on a decline?

The+orange+blaze+coming+from+the+area+around+Cinepolis+Luxury+Cinemas+in+the+Kendlands+lit+up+the+sky+on+Feb.+9.+I+was+shocked+to+see+a+fire+that+big%2C+senior+Jake+Kelley+said.+
Photo by Jake Kelley
The orange blaze coming from the area around Cinepolis Luxury Cinemas in the Kendlands lit up the sky on Feb. 9. “I was shocked to see a fire that big,” senior Jake Kelley said.

2024 has uncovered events that concern residents about the safety of their neighborhoods.

Students were shaken by the violent and out-of-the-ordinary crime that occurred on Dec. 1, 2023. A break-in on Chinkapin Ct. in Potomac left the community concerned for their safety in a county that is renowned for its general security. Though no official report was made on the crime, according to residents of the neighborhood, the events of the crime went as follows: Intruders broke through a window of a single-family home where a woman and her daughter were sleeping. Allegedly, the homeowners were held at gunpoint and tied up, and demanded to direct the robbers to their valuable items. Finally, the robbers exited the house and stole the homeowners’ car. As of today, the vehicle was found, but the perpetrators have yet to be caught.

Students were at home during the invasion, and through neighborhood group chats and the Next Door app, the word was spread quickly. Details about the events are unconfirmed. Senior Taha Ghadially lives in close proximity to the break-in, and is attentive to the crimes arising in his neighborhood. “I was at home with my sister and my parents were out of the country. Neighbors contacted my mom and told her the break-in had happened, so my mom called me and told me to lock the doors. I bought a machete for future self defense because we’re getting broken into very often, almost weekly,” Ghadially said.

The neighborhood homeowners association and police held a meeting about a month after the incident to provide the community with information about what had happened and how to ensure safety looking ahead. “I’ve heard rumors that there have been multiple break-ins. I don’t know how many of them are true, but I know at least one has happened and it’s really scary. My mom went to the neighborhood meeting to learn more about what is going on,” junior Bianca Diamond said.

Another break-in occurred on Feb. 24 in a neighborhood densely populated by our students and their families. This break-in on Outpost Ln. raised questions about the ongoing violence in our community.

Principal Kimberly Williams Cascio sent an email to the Stonemill Elementary School community on Feb. 26 when the break-in occurred. “I got a call from one of our families that lives at Outpost and Lakewinds. On Friday, three adult men (30’s-40’s) walked the property around their house scoping things out. Saturday, when no one was home they came back, broke the back, sliding, glass door and ransacked the house taking only cash. The police are aware. Please be aware, talk to your children, and if you see something, say something,” Cascio said.

Students may be unaware of these events. Some students claim the events were kept quiet in an attempt to allow the police to catch the perpetrators. However, students argue that members of the community have the right to be aware of the possible dangers surrounding their homes so that they can take extra measures to maintain their safety. “We got free security cameras because there’s a policy that if you have a certain amount of crime in your area, the government or the police give you money to buy security cameras, which makes me feel safer,” Ghadially said.

A fear of danger has stemmed proactivity, leading to increased preparedness of the community. “It really scared me because I live close to the house and I’m often home alone, but I just ordered a ring camera because of this incident so I feel safer,” Diamond said.

Adding to the safety hazards in the community was a fire spotted in the Kentlands on Feb. 9. Students who happened to be running errands in the Kentlands shopping area were alarmed when an orange haze and dark cloud of smoke rose from the area around the Cinepolis movie theaters. “I was in the parking lot at Whole Foods and I could see a huge fire that looked like it was coming from the movie theater,” senior Jake Kelley said. “But when I passed by a couple minutes later the fire was out and the fire trucks were there.”

Senior Lizzie Misovec was at dinner when she saw the sky ablaze. “I saw the fire when I was at Bonefish Grill, but it was put out really quickly. I was confused, though, because I didn’t hear anyone talking about it after it happened and I didn’t see anything about it when I searched it up online,” senior Lizzie Misovec said.

It is vital to acknowledge the potential threats around your community, and pay close attention to your surroundings to stay safe.