Implications of name change at this school

The carving of Thomas S. Woottons name on this school is a constant reminder of the controversial history behind this property.
Photo courtesy MCPS
The carving of Thomas S. Wootton’s name on this school is a constant reminder of the controversial history behind this property.

In recent years, certain Montgomery County schools have considered going through a name change, this school being one of them. While at this point nothing has been announced, a change like this would be monumental. Thomas S. Wootton was a slave owner in this area 200 years ago, and recent discussion has led some to look at this fact in a new light. As the nation reflects on its history of racism and questions why we choose to honor those who exemplify that past, this community mirrors that as well.

For some community members, the question being asked isn’t whether the name change should occur, but rather why it hadn’t been considered before. “Back in high school in the late ’90s, the name of Thomas S. Wootton High School was associated with an enslaver. It wasn’t a widely discussed topic among students or within the community. Awareness and sensitivity to historical figures’ legacies, especially regarding their involvement in slavery, were not as pronounced in the school curriculum or societal discourse as they are today. If there were discussions about renaming the school due to its namesake’s history, they didn’t receive much attention or stir significant debate among students and staff,” parent Jessica Berellez said.

Across community members, a name change means different things. For some, it reflects a hopeful future for a change in the standards of what we consider to be acceptable, but for others, it can change tradition. “Change is a constant, and yet change is not easy. I predict that if we ever faced the process of going through the process of a name change, that we certainly would have two sides to that issue – and I would be prepared to work with both of them, I think they’re both very valid,” Principal Douglas Nelson said.

For students, this may not change much about the experience of their education, or whether or not it makes them more comfortable in the environment. “I’ve lived here for my whole life and I’ve had three older sisters go to Wootton, so it has always been Wootton to me and it doesn’t matter much to me if they change it. The school will still be there; it would just take time getting used to any name changes,” junior Maggie Hennessy said.

While this never-ending debate can seem arduous at times, the progress it can promote is worth it to some. “The slow progress in advancing this issue is a missed opportunity for the community to engage in meaningful dialogue about our values and the legacy we wish to honor and promote. I believe that change is possible, but it requires sustained advocacy, open dialogue, and a willingness to confront uncomfortable truths,” Berellez said.

View Comments (1)
$2050
$2000