Students, staff alike voice concerns regarding semester schedule changes

Photo by Chase Dolan
Freshman Haim Mikowski, and sophomores Nathan Downie, Jibril Arezki and Erik Nersesian discuss semester schedule changes in the language hallway during lunch on Feb. 15. “We’re all frustrated about the schedule changes, but we’re trying to make the most of them with some jokes,” Mikowski said.

A student walks into first period: knowing no one they keep their head down, wishing their schedule hadn’t changed. Students all around the school suffer the same fate, which raises the question, should schedules be changed each semester?

The rationale for why schedules are changed each semester is debated, however, according to guidance, there are four main reasons. “We may get new staffing mid-year to be able to add a section of something, which requires a shift in staffing and periods. On the reverse we may need to collapse a section because there are so many seats and create a new class in another area because those are too full. We also try to be conscious of spreading out what teachers are off certain periods. Also it depends on what electives are offered as some are only first semester and others only second semester,” counselor Elizabeth Robinson said.

Students have varying opinions on whether or not a change in schedules is necessary. “I think it’s 50/50 for people supporting semester class changes because some classes might be better and some classes might get worse,” sophomore Erik Nersesian said.

Students have ideas on how to improve the schedule switch. Nersesian recommends that students are given more power over their schedules. “I think we should have full power to change around our periods and classes at the start of a semester, as some counselors don’t allow us to,” Nersesian said.

The benefits of schedule switches each semester don’t come without disadvantages. Students often build good relationships with their teachers, who can become a role model and parental figures, and when they switch teachers, that bond is often lost. “Sometimes I like certain teachers and then I don’t get them for the whole year,” junior Kailey Waxman said.

Although there are people heavily against the schedule changes, there are also students who see the benefit in it. Students are given the opportunity to start fresh with new peers. “I like having new people in my classes and making new friends,” Waxman said.

School can feel repetitive because students do the same things each day. Students have the same classes and see the same teachers, which is why schedule changes can be a welcome change. “I think it is beneficial because it is nice to change things up halfway through the year,” Waxman said.

Teachers have just as strong opinions, if not more strong than students, regarding schedules changing each semester. English teacher Melissa Kaplan feels the negative effects of the schedule switch outweigh the positive effects of it. “I am an advocate for keeping the same class all year,” Kaplan said.

Teachers also have to get to know a full new group of students each semester. This slows down how fast they get through the curriculum because it takes time to get to know their students and help them settle in. “Keeping the same class could accelerate instruction because I wouldn’t need to provide diagnostics or reteach certain skills,” Kaplan said.

Teachers not only have to get to know each student, but they also have to attempt to learn how the new class gets along. “If I had a class with a great dynamic I’d have to give it up, and it just takes more time to get to know students after a semester change,” Kaplan said.