Students look forward to first time voting

Students look forward to becoming first time voters in Marylands primary election.
Photo used with permission from Google Creative Commons
Students look forward to becoming first time voters in Maryland’s primary election.

Advertisements on TV, yard signs out in full effect and debates ensuing between candidates: We have officially reached election season.

An election year brings about excitement and nervousness for voters as the balance of power in politics hangs in the balance. As the election cycle begins, first-time student voters are looking forward to the opportunity to vote and help shape the future of the country.

On Jan. 5, the first-in-the-nation primary election known as the Iowa Caucus was held. The primary election, often regarded as the electoral starting point, serves as a crucial mechanism for political parties to nominate candidates for the general election. While Jan. 5 is the kickoff date for the primary elections, the state of Maryland does not officially hold its primaries until May 14. While Maryland is one of the final states to go through their nominating process, students are still excited for their first experience getting to vote and participate in the election.

Senior Evan Geisner has been following the primary results in different states and is looking forward to eventually having the opportunity to vote in the primary. Geisner said, “I have enjoyed following the primary election and seeing the results in the states that have already gone. I am excited to have my first experience as a voter in May during the primaries and I look forward to finally being able to vote and participate in the election process.”

As the primary election has begun its early stages, candidates on the Republican side of the ballot have dropped out, setting up a competition between the frontrunner, former President Donald Trump, and former South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley, who both seek the nomination. On the Democratic ticket, incumbent President Joe Biden is running for reelection, setting up a likely rematch between him and former President Trump. The likely rematch has not generated enthusiasm among the American public as an Associated Press poll conducted showed that over 50 percent of Americans would feel dissatisfied with a rematch between the incumbent and former president.

Senior John Wang is not overly excited about voting in the upcoming election but feels it is important to vote as a first-time voter due to the importance of American politics. Wang said, “I am not particularly looking forward to voting but I still will. I think it is important that everyone who can vote, does research and votes because I think American politics is so important all around the world.”

While elections bring out excitement and interest amongst people in this country, it can also be a stressful time with concern about the effects the outcome will have on the country. Senior Bilal Somji plans on voting in the election but the stressful nature of elections makes it a challenging time for everyone. Somji said, “While I think it is very important to vote, I’m not looking forward to the stressful time this will be for everyone during the election.”

As the primary continues and candidates get closer to clinching the nomination, students can continue following the election process as they wait for their opportunity to make their voices heard in May.