The school we love to hate: a background on the Churchill rivalry

Photo by Gurnoor Sodhi
Junior Khairi Hyde plays in the first of the boys’ basketball games vs Churchill on Dec. 20. This game ended in a close Patriot loss, which the team avenged on Feb. 5 with a win.

The biggest game of any sports season: the rivalry game. From rivalry weekend in college football to the chaos of any Commanders vs Cowboys game, sports rivalries make any game better. Every student at our school is familiar with the Churchill rivalry, but its history is lesser known.

This year our school has been dominating the Churchill rivalry, most recently winning in boys’ basketball and girls’ basketball. It is almost a guarantee that a matchup against Churchill for any sport is well-attended, and has a lively atmosphere. “Last year’s regional final of boys’ basketball was great. It would’ve been the best day if the girls won as well, but when the boys beat Churchill in the regional finals was my favorite,” athletic director Al Lightsey said.

Although Churchill has beaten us in football the past few years, the rivalry football game is a highlight for students. Since Cabin John Middle School splits up its students between Churchill and this school, former Cabin John students here have friends who went to Churchill and rivalry games provide a fun environment to reunite. “It’s nostalgic seeing my old Cabin John friends at the Churchill games because it makes me remember all the fun things we did before COVID and high school,” junior Anna Jeyachandran said.

To get to the origin of the rivalry, school history is needed. Wootton opened in 1970, and Churchill opened six years earlier in 1964. Both this school and Churchill are national Blue Ribbon schools, and rank high in the U.S. News state high school rankings, with Churchill being fifth in the state and this school ranking fourth. However, our school’s athletic rivalry has been present for decades, with coverage of the rivalry in our school newspapers going back to the early 2000s. Through state championship matchups and tense student section conflicts, this rivalry has stuck around for years.

When preparing for rivalry games, especially in more popular sports like basketball or football, extra security measures are taken. “We just did basketball at Churchill. With boys’ basketball, it’s where it fills up, and we sent two security guards, an assistant principal, and someone from athletics. We sent four people just for an away game and it also costs athletics to pay for security and time,” Lightsey said.

Sportsmanship can fly out the window when playing a rival. As an athlete for this school, I’ve seen how sportsmanship can turn hostile in a rivalry game. This extends not only to players but also to fans or student sections, where insults and rude comments can fly back and forth. However, no matter who the opponent is, sportsmanship should always stay a priority. “At the end of the day, you want to have the most class of two rivals. And if you can maintain cool and maintain composure and be good sports, albeit still rooting against them and rooting for us in a way that’s respectful, that speaks volumes as to who we are as a school and community,” Lightsey said.