Will new Mean Girls movie be as fetch as original?

Photo courtesy Hayley Gottesman
Sophomore Soraya Payandeh previews an advertisement for the new “Mean Girls” film ahead of the Jan. 12 release.

Mean Girls is renowned in pop culture, managing to stay relevant and effortlessly iconic regardless of the years that have passed, leading to major excitement ahead of the Jan. 12 remake.

The original film follows Cady Heron, portrayed by Lindsay Lohan, as she adapts to the social hierarchy of American high school and develops resilience in forming connections after living the majority of her life homeschooled in Africa. She is introduced to “The Plastics,” Karen Smith, Gretchen Wieners and Regina George (Amanda Seyfried, Lacey Chabert, Rachel McAdams).

The general plot is evergreen and because of the movie’s notability, the film has become increasingly familiar. Because of this, it wasn’t solely enjoyed by the generation who went to see Mean Girls in the movie theater in 2004 but also by later generations who watched it for the first time or the 15th on Hulu or Paramount. The film caters to a variety of audiences, including fostering nostalgia and satisfying millennials’ humor and being suitable to tween-agers’ naivety.

The new movie-musical is set in the present day and reflects a post-pandemic world while incorporating the astronomical advances in technology made since 2004. The trailer showcases social media platforms such as TikTok and computers in the classroom. “I think their clothing style and use of technology [will be updated in 2024],” sophomore Aava Nikakhtar said.

The trailer also includes clips from the notable “Jingle Bell Rock” number and features the infamous ‘Burn Book’. “I think the film will be funny and have a modern twist from the original Mean Girls,” sophomore Soraya Payandeh said.

Elements of Mean Girls are deeply embedded in society today, which is a testament to how esteemed this movie is. Heron and her love interest, Aaron Samuels, had a conversation regarding Oct. 3, which has become commonly referenced, and is now formally acknowledged as ‘Mean Girls Day.’ The phrase “On Wednesdays we wear pink,” is frequently repeated due to the sheer ridiculousness of devoting a day to a color. Because Wieners’ (Chabert) repeatedly uses the word fetch, throughout the film the term became widely known and beloved because of its affiliation with Mean Girls.

Mean Girls has acquired a cult-like following, thus the film was adapted into a musical, which opened on Broadway in April 2018 after its original premiere in D.C.. The new film will include aspects of the musical as well as new details and components from the original film.

Similarly to the musical adaptation, characters Janis and Damian will be narrating the film. “This will enhance the movie because they are super and it’s cool to see from their point of view,” freshman Ashley McGinness said.

Sequels and remakes may thrive at the box offices as fans rush to see their favorite characters and moments back on the big screen with exciting, fresh twists. Along with that comes greater scrutiny as viewers expect it to be top-notch. With the immense anticipation and excitement surrounding Mean Girls, on Jan. 12 moviegoers will decide whether the film meets the towering bar set by the original.