No homework weekends: helpful or not?

During the school year, no homework is assigned to students on various weekends. Whether a class is AP, honors, or non-honors, teachers are not permitted to give students homework due the day of school following the weekend. These “no-homework weekends” are designated to give upperclassmen extra time to visit colleges, complete essays, and applications.

It is a great time for students to contemplate their futures while not having to worry about other stresses of school. Also, these weekends can relieve stress for all students who feel they are constantly doing homework and have no days off. Only recently were no homework weekends implemented into schools and so far they have been a success.

No homework weekends are geared mostly toward seniors. College apps are known to be time consuming and although homework is important, the futures of students are more important. These weekends give them an opportunity to focus on their number one priority. Although homework is usually a priority for students, this time preparing for colleges is their number one priority.
Seniors such as Jake Rosenblatt appreciate these weekends to visit colleges and think about the next few years of their life. “I love the weekends that none of the teachers give us homework because I can have more time to visit colleges, and figure out where I want to go next year,” Rosenblatt said.

Although everybody seems to be in favor of homework weekends, there is one flaw that can happen surrounding the amount of work given. During no homework weekends, assignments can not be due the day students return to school after the weekend, however, teachers can assign lots of work that can be due two days after the weekend ends. Even though the work is not due the day students get back from school, if they have a lot of work due two days after then they will need to get a head start on their homework over the weekend.

Doing work over the weekend contradicts the idea that no homework weekends bring to the table. Sophomore Daniel Rudden doesn’t like how no homework weekends are executed and feels like his workload hasn’t changed much as a result. “My teachers are still giving us lots of work but the timing of it is less spread out. No homework weekends haven’t opened up any more time on my schedule,” Rudden said.

No homework weekends also open up lots of opportunity for student athletes to play in tournaments that can help them out with college recruiting. Even student athletes who are already into college can focus on keeping up their skills so they can perform up to par when they get to college. Junior Carli Mangum is thankful for having less weekends with homework so she can focus on other important activities that she participates in. “I can play better in my lax tournaments because I’m not worried about school work hanging over my head,” Mangum said.

Justin Fishman

Opinion Editor