Breaking down most noteworthy, entertaining songs of summer


Radley Ellenbogen

Summer is a time for vacations, the pool and hanging out with friends. Good songs that play on the radio radiate a special feeling; a chill, carefree, sunny vibe that is perfect for late-night house parties and pool parties. Amazing songs take this energy and intensify it. They are the songs you want to play when you are feeling a certain way or are around certain people. These songs are playing when you and your friends are making a great memory together. As a tribute to some of this past summer, here are the top five songs that made this summer one to remember.

5. Playboi Carti — “Magnolia”: Whether you like it or not, this song has to be in the top five. You know a song has become one of the top of the summer when even its producer drop becomes a catchphrase. When someone plays “Magnolia,” you will always hear a chorus of “Yo Pierre you wanna come out here” no matter where you hear it. It is just proof of how advanced Carti is; he mastered this skill that is so hard to do these days. Even during the school year, if you listen to “Magnolia” it will be hard not to milly rock all the way to your next class.

4. Calvin Harris featuring Migos and Frank Ocean — “Slide”: “Slide” is arguably Calvin Harris’ biggest hit to date. The collaboration with Migos and Frank Ocean combines genres such as Harris’ techno, Migos’ rap and hip hop and Ocean’s rhythm and blues. The flow of Quavo and Offset seems effortless and fits seamlessly with the sick beats behind their verses. “Listening to ‘Slide’ on my way to North Carolina this summer made the journey there enjoyable,” senior Jeffrey Grant said.

3. Miley Cyrus — “Malibu”: Love her or hate her, Miley Cyrus has impressed us again with another comeback single that has become one of the top anthems of the summer. The unmistakable twang in Cyrus’ voice make the lyrics catchier than they already are. “To be honest, I hate Miley Cyrus but the lyrics are so appealing that I can’t help but play it over and over again,” sophomore Nessa Vandi said.

2. DJ Khaled featuring Rihanna and Bryson Tiller — “Wild Thoughts”: Played constantly on the radio, DJ Khaled has produced yet another chart topper in “Wild Thoughts” in collaboration with Rihanna and Bryson Tiller. DJ Khaled has produced a bunch of songs featuring hard rap beats but “Wild Thoughts” is different. Sampled from “Maria Maria” by Santana, the “Wild Thoughts” rhythm and blues aspect brings a unique element to the song, making it different than anything Khaled has ever created. This hit will no doubt be remembered for years to come and will continue to dominate party playlists.

1. Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee featuring Justin Bieber — “Despacito” (Remix): One word: Despacito. The first true Latin chart-topper in over two decades, the “Despacito” Remix has surged to the top of almost everyone’s playlist as well as radio charts nationwide. Since 90 percent of the song is in Spanish while the other 10 percent features Justin Bieber singing the English lyrics, the song reintroduces Latin music to English music consumers and its infectious beat reminds us how amazing it feels to sway our hips and sing along. “The song fuses Latin flavor and introduces it to American consumers; that is why I think it is so popular,” junior Cheryl Goodman said.

Maxwell Redding

Staff Writer