Girls’ varsity field hockey makes it to state semi-finals

Photo by Gurnoor Sodhi
On Nov. 3, varsity field hockey beat Dulaney High School 2-1 in the first round of the state playoffs.

The varsity field hockey team ended the season with a 12-4 record. Three of those games were playoff games before their season ended after falling short to Northern High School in the state semi-finals. “I loved being a part of the team because practice was always fun and getting to semi-state finals was very exciting,” Sophomore Danielle Rubin said.

During the regular season, the team beat Rockville, Walter Johnson, Richard Montgomery, Sherwood, Blair, Mcgruder, Northwest, Damascus, and Gaithersburg. In the playoffs, the team beat Watkins Mill, Rockville and Dulaney. The team came together to work hard and get further in the playoffs than last season.

The first game of playoffs was against Watkins Mill on Oct. 26, where the Patriots defeated the Wolverines 6-0. The game ended at halftime when Watkins Mill forfeited the game. The teams decided to end the game with a scrimmage, with the seniors from this school joining the Watkins Mill team for a game that ended in a 0- -0 score.

The second game of playoffs, also the first game of state playoffs, was against Rockville on Oct. 31. The Patriots beat the Rams 4-0. Senior Naomi Esterowitz scored two goals and sophomore Nicole Subiela scored another two goals, leading the team to victory.

The third game of playoffs was the state quarterfinals against Dulaney on Nov.2, where the Patriots got the win 2-1. The first goal was off a corner with Esterowitz getting the ball in the goal. There was strong defense and the midfielders effectively got the ball up the field. The second goal was scored by junior Jenna Goldberg with an assist by Subiela. “I am really proud that we were able to win the regional finals and play against Dulaney where our team really brought the energy to the field and were able to pull you another win,” Subiela said.

The last game of playoffs was the semi-finals against Northern High School on Nov. 9. The team played well but fell short by one goal. Northern scored in the first quarter, and in the second quarter, the Patriots scored twice. Northern scored in the third quarter, tying the score 2-2, and finally in the fourth quarter, Northern got the last goal, causing this school to face defeat after a tough game. “It was great to see the players start to work as a team and act like a family towards the end of the season and that’s why we were able to get so far in playoffs,” Esterowitz said.