UNICEF Club plans fundraising events aimed at making difference around world

Photo courtesy Andrew Lim
The UNICEF Club had their first meeting of the year on Oct. 20 in the library to introduce club officers and share information about the club.

The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) Club is planning fundraising events, which will provide support for children in need. Students can participate in these fundraising events later in the year.

The purpose of the UNICEF Club is to plan and organize fundraising opportunities. The profits created by these fundraising events are sent to organizations that are able to help disadvantaged children.

At the moment, the UNICEF Club is focusing on planning fundraising events that will take place during the second, third, and fourth quarters of the school year. They are also looking to recruit new members of the club. The club is “planning activities and gaining members,” sophomore Andrew Lim said.

It is possible for students to become members of the club despite the closing of the official sign up sheet. To become a member, “students must contact representatives of the UNICEF Club such as myself,” sophomore Varun Rajesh said.

The globally successful group known as UNICEF has been aiding vulnerable children around the world for over 75 years. Since its founding in 1946, UNICEF has been securing kids a happy childhood by protecting their rights and working to end child marriage, labor, and trafficking. Junior Johanna Lim said that the UNICEF Club is one of the most important organizations on the planet because children’s rights are an important factor that affects their development and future.
Additionally, UNICEF works to ensure kids are vaccinated and educated. UNICEF consistently saves two to three million children each year by providing vaccines to deadly Diseases.

This UNICEF Club meets on the third Friday of every month. At the last meeting, the officers talked about their plans for the club, and outlined what it was the club would be doing.

The UNICEF Club is run collaboratively between the sponsor Tammie Burk and the club officers. Students report feeling satisfied with the club’s co-presidents, Lim and senior Vivian La. “The club presidents are very capable individuals who have done an incredible job so far when it comes to addressing concerns and organizing the club this year,” Rajesh said.

Members of the club said that they felt the UNICEF Club is an effective one to include at the school because it introduces opportunities for students to help others around the world, which it may be difficult to do otherwise. “Students don’t have many places that tell them what they can do to help the world, and our club does exactly that,” Rajesh said.

The club also provides occasions where students can earn Student Service Learning hours. Students need 75 SSL hours to graduate high school in MCPS. The UNICEF Club benefits students because it “helps them gain SSL hours,” Rajesh said.
Beyond fundraising, the club is also significant in educating students about the conditions children face internationally. Students are taught how they can make an impact and are motivated to try to help deprived children.

Members of the club reported feeling pleased that they joined the UNICEF Club and recommend other students to join as well.