Creative Writing Club creates supportive space for writers

Photo by Heerah Jayakumar
Sophomore Victoria Olanrewaju works on a creative writing assignment in her spare time.

Creative Writing Club plans to offer opportunities and events for students to strengthen their skills, such as showcases and panels.

The club proves to be an outlet for students to express themselves through fun activities to help bring out creativity in students. Its purpose is to de-stress students and form helpful and meaningful connections.

The club consists of community-building activities, such as icebreakers, story-sharing and fun games. The students decide what they do. “It’s definitely a very student-driven mission,” club sponsor and English teacher Annette Evans said, “Some years it’s just about being playful, some years it’s about generating content.”

Student members of the club also had positive things to say and enjoyed the environment. Meetings are held bi-weekly, but attendance is not mandatory. “It’s very accepting, just come with your friends and hang out,” sophomore Victoria Olanrewaju said.

Last year, the club lacked the resources students need to be able to flourish and grow, but this year brings change to the Creative Writing Club. This year, the club is taking on a different initiative, with plans for more opportunities for students. The main goal is to ensure that students can easily access resources, and get help on their writing. “I know I struggled with finding opportunities like that, this year I’m trying to revive the club because I really like creative writing, and I want to create more opportunities for people to get involved in creative writing around the school,” club leader senior Margo Brown said.

Brown aims to have showcases throughout the year as well as, working with the English Honors Society (EHS) to improve accessibility to students. Along with this, Brown hopes to bring outside organizations to the school. “I’m working to schedule panels with professionals in the field for people to talk to and ask questions,” Brown said.

Students can come to the club to strengthen their skills. Creative writing can introduce students to various forms of writing and expression, such as songwriting and poetry. “Creative writing is about creativity and any medium that you feel fit,” Brown said.

This allows students to use their work in other places such as writing contests and gain recognition in the literary magazine. They can also bring work from their classes to work on and get help with. “I made a song with my friend from a capella, the creative writing club helps me because sometimes I do get writer’s block especially when it comes to lyrics,” Olanrewaju said.

The club is for all students and can be a safe space for any form of expression. Evans encourages hesitant students to join the club.“Do it, how you tell your story doesn’t have to be conventional, just bring your talent to the world of storytelling,” Evans said.

Evans has big plans for the Creative Writing Club, with activities planned in hopes for students to get inspired. “Creative writing is about creativity and any medium that you feel fit,” Brown said.